[Ambassadors] about myself

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 15 17:12:15 UTC 2007

Arun Kumar wrote:
> hello everyone.... i recently joined fedora ambassador's group and
> updated my profile too....
> let me introduce myself...
> my name is Arun Kumar a final yr Computer Engg. student. i got selcted
> in TCS and they hav offered me the job of computer
> consultancy(assistant system engg.).....
> i like fedora very much ... infact i hav just almost given up using
> windows.... i joined fedora ambassador group coz i wanna tell ppl how
> good fedora is ....
> but everytime when i asked ppl that hav they ever tried fedora than
> most of them replies yes they do but they are always in doubt abt
> fedora....
> the major one is abt playing mp3...

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureCodecBuddy. Granted
this isnt going to make the problem disappear but it puts it somewhere
on the level of say Flash where it is trivially easy to install them
that nobody complains about it anymore.

> and the other one is abt they can't able to connect internet through
> fedora...
> i know there must be some problem with their network settings but as
> we all know if ppl get something, doesn't matter whether it's free or
> not...they want it to work perfectly... they want everthing to be
> settled down by itself...and according to me this is still amongst the
> major problem that's  y ppl are still not using fedora in myriad
> number(in comparison to windows).....
> so i hav decided that i m going to tell ppl abt the solutions of these
> problems too....
> wud love to hear from all of u too .....

I havent heard of inability to do network settings as a common issue.
Well if incorrect network settings are the real issue, I am not sure we
can do much beyond what we do tools like system-config-network or
Network Manager but there is a broad topic especially if you consider
dial up connections with their own dialers, Wireless with non
redistributable firmware etc.

We are trying to get more vendors to make their firmware atleast
redistributable. There is progress with example some of the Intel ones
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureWirelessFirmware

Rahul