[Ambassadors] Fedora European Infrastructure - 2nd try

Mirjam Wäckerlin mirjam.waeckerlin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 21:45:11 UTC 2007

Hello,

The thread about Fedora European Infrastructure (FEI) has been silent
for quite a while – too long IMHO. It would be a pity if this idea
went down, because we have the possibility to enhance the
infrastructure in Europe now, and chances like this don't come along
every day.
By now, European Ambassadors are dependent from RedHat US when it
comes to shipping dvds, merchandise, or having money for events etc.
If the FEI idea succeeds, Europe could have its own budget (and more
autonomy), and FEI will decide who will get the money.

I've got the impression that there is no clear picture of what FEI
would do and what it would be good for. Let give me some very simple
„use cases" of what FEI could do.

Someone wants to do a fedora booth on an important event. For costs
like printing flyers, merchandise, travelling and hotel he can ask FEI
who will decide if and how much money from the budget he will get.

Some events are more important than others, and the budget may not be
enough to cover all of them. FEI will create a public list with events
who have to be covered (with the help of all European Ambassadors).

Someone experiences problems while organising an event (this problems
may be: finances, the application for the event or others) FEI is the
point of contact.

Non-local European events (like Fosdem or European FADs) where
Ambassadors from all over Europe/the world will meet will be
coordinated by FEI.

French Ambassadors have made the decision to create a local entity. If
Ambassadors from a country do so, they will have all the support from
FEI (and from all other Ambassadors, too, of course). Creating a local
entity though is a lot of work which is not Fedora specific, meaning
the work is mostly bureaucratic and centering at legal tasks. This is
- with FEI -  not imperatively needed, because FEI will create the
missing infrastructure and step in, especially where Europeans feel
left behind. But if Ambassadors from a country are still convinced
that they need a legal entity, they merit the support from all of us.

The question if FEI should be a legal entity: personally, I wouldn't
like it, because FEI is not there for doing bureaucratic tasks. But
this point should be clarified by a lawyer, to be sure that there
won't be any legal problems.

Another proposition on this list was to wait till LinuxTag to discuss
the subject over there. I think it's better to discuss and make the
decision here, because this is an important subject where everybody
should have the possibility to discuss about and get involved. Let's
use Linuxtag as a place to officially launch FEI. Chitlesh and I think
Gerold will be the perfect ambassador to cut the ribbon ;-)

Now, I ask every Ambassador on this list: take five minutes and think
about this idea, and how we can get it to work. Then reply here, or
better: speed to the wikipage to edit it
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Drafts/Europe).

And last but not least: if you are interested in becoming the FEI,
raise your hand!

Regards,

Mirjam