[Ambassadors] FAD EMEA (2007-11-23 - 2007-11-25)

Thomas Canniot mrtom at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 9 18:29:20 UTC 2007

Le Tue, 06 Nov 2007 18:42:23 +0100,
pingou <pingoufc4 at yahoo.fr> a écrit :

> hi all,
>
> I just ask for update here...
>
> I mean the more time we wait, the more expansive the plan ticket are,
> the less chance there are that we can come...
>
> Hope to hear news from you,
> Best regards,
> P.Yves

Thanks Pierre-Yves for giving me the offlist answer to the question you
made here.

I would first recommend everyone to use the mailing list for discussing
this subject and avoid personal mails, so as everyone could get
the right info at the right moment.

Then according to what Pierre Yves told me, the FedoraProject offered
ambassadors for the FAD the nights at the hotel, but can't invest in
transportation. That's really disappointing, and we could really wonder
how the FP consider the FAD : For this kind of European meeting, it is
quite ununderstandable that the hotel is offered. I would have offered
the transport (train, car, anyway you want as long as you can justify
it and say before the FAD : "i'm going there and I expect to spend XXX€
there because of the train"). In fact, in Europe and anywhere, what is
very expensive for people is transportation and not sleeping in a hotel.

What do we really need to run a fad ? This question could be rephrased
by : What do we need for people to talk in front of each other, at the
same time and place. The answer is very simple : a table and chairs !
And we found them in most hotels anywhere in Europe. Because what is
important is that people could move, to meet and discuss. Not that the
thickness of the matress they would sleep on :). You can always take a
low cost hotel on you own or ask for some friend / family / local
ambassadors to sleep at their homes, for free or very little money.

What I want to say is that :
1. We don't need such a luxurious hotel to run the FAD
2. All we need is a table and chairs (most *normal* hotels have them)
3. We need to be reimbursed what *is* expensive : transportation, and
not the hotel
4. Some hotels (low cost and high cost ones) could / should have been
suggested instead of imposing one to the group, and imposing them to
pay for something they can hardly decide of the price.

Finally, I would like to remind everybody that the FedoraProject is
composed of many profiles and I would retain two of them : employees
and students. Thanks to them, you can already understand that they
don't have the same revenue and the same way of life.
Thus, I have to announce you that I don't have 250€ to spend for Fedora.

Once again, I am very disappointed, because one again, I will miss the
fad.

Thomas