[Ambassadors] [JDLL 2007] Conclusion

H. Guémar karlthered2 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 18:39:05 UTC 2007

JDLL 2007 (Lyon, France) has ended few hours ago.
Fedora was represented by FedoraProject Ambassadors:
- Maxime Carron (Pingoomax)
- Benoit Marcelin (Sereinity)
- Guillaume Kulawski (Llaumgui) today
- and myself Haikel Guemar (Karl_le_Rouge)
- community members: killwin, boarf, kikoo, daneel
And also Fedora-FR our local user group.

We maintained a stand during todays, surrounded by OpenSolaris,
OpenBSD, and Ubuntu-fr. We had few demo machines (2 workstations and 4
laptops under Rawhide,  a macbook under F7).
There were different categories of visitors: complete newbies who
wanted to know "what's the difference between Fedora and Ubuntu",
Linux users, few professionals etc.

JDLL 2007 hosted stand from Mozilla Europe, GNOME-fr, PostgreSQL,
OpenOffice.org, APRIL (French Free Software lobby group which
federates many associations), Framasoft, traduc.org (French French
Software translator group who host many translation project),
LinuxChixFrance, etc..
Some companies were represented: Linagora, OpenSide, Kisoh
(TuxDroids), Alinto, C-S etc...

We had conferences about GNOME (V. Untz), Firefox 3 (Tristan Nitot,
Mozilla Europe CEO) and XUL (Paul Rouget, Mozilla E.), DRMs (Sam
Hocevar, Debian Project Leader and VLC developer),OpenSolaris (It
rocks !), Free (as in speech) Music, Accessibility and free software,
OpenOffice, Blender, RoR, Electronic voting etc.. etc ....

Our communication focused more on FedoraProject and our community
experience  than Fedora Linux (the distro). Many people don't
understand the difference between RedHat and FedoraProject and how our
community works.
People were quite impressed by system-config-tools, livecd-tools +
revisor. Smolt  and statistic project was also on the spot (2.2
millions FC6 installation, 1.7 millions for F7).  People liked
Rawhide's sober and clean artwork. Rawhide's animated wallpaper was a
big hit ! Fedora Artwork team, you rocks guys !

Focusing our speech on the community and our philosophy (working
upstream and leading innovation) has allowed us to catch the
attention. People appreciated FedoraProject contribution to
system-config-printer (which has been integrated in the latest
Ubuntu), PackageKit, NetworkManager, selinux, AIGLX etc...
We distributed few F7 live-cds we previously burnt, some will give
a(nother) try to Fedora.
We also spent some time presenting our new local association Fedora-FR.
We had a special guest as Vincent Untz from GNOME fame who represented
GNOME-fr.

Llaumgui and I managed to have a lightning talk presenting
FedoraProject and Fedora-FR association.

This was a premiere of FedoraProject and Fedora-FR in JDLL, we hope to
return next year and spread Fedora !