[Ambassadors] Fedora Open Days - report

Pawel Sadowski mcgiwer at fedoraproject.org
Sun Sep 2 15:58:50 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm sending a short report from Fedora Open Days, which happened on
16-17 June in Krakow, Poland. It's a bit late, but better late than
never ;)

1st day (Saturday, June 16th)

The whole event took place at one of the buildings of Cracow University
of Technology. When we arrived at the meeting place, there were many
community members. They were waiting for registration. Before the event
started, we set had set up our booth. Registration didn't take long,
immediately after this almost everyone went for the room where
presentations took place. The first speech was an official welcome from
organizers. Then the presentations started. On the first day, there were
many speeches about the new Fedora 7 release, Red Hat Neterprise Linux
5, virtualization and the Fedora community in Poland and Europe. After
these topics, we had a break for a dinner. After a meal people come back
for next presentation, about virtualisation (Xen), Red Hat in Poland,
preparing the RPM packages and Ruby on Rails. Then the "official" part
of the event on the first day was finished. We met again on a Krakow
marketplace for Linux Party, to integrate the community ;) We had a
great fun till late hours, but because of the next day we had to come
back and sleep a bit.

2nd day (Sunday, June 17th)

On the second day, the event started with a presentation about licences.
Then, we could see speeches about Compiz, KDE4, Jabber and Fedora
Directory Server. After them, the community went for a short break for
dinner, that is delicous pizza ;) After coming back, there were
presentations about Red Hat Internet servers and TeX.

If it comes about swag, the Fedora T-shirts were sold out quite quickly.
On the second day, I had a very few T-shirts left, and in some moment my
supply was empty. Excepts the T-shirts, we've also sold some stickers,
FUDCon bracelets, and posters, and I've given out rest of Fedora 6 DVDs
that I had with me.

I think that was a great opportunity to promote Fedora. The community
had a chance to integrate, and that succeed. A conclusion from the event
is, that next time I have to take more swag with me :) We've gained few
new ambassadors what is an awesome news for Fedora Project in Poland.
This event was successful inter alia because of the fact, that on next
event, which is Software Freedom Day already on September 15th, we'll
have our own booth, and there will be at least 4 Fedora ambassadors.
I'll give a speech about the Fedora Project generally and about the new
Fedora 7 release. The Fedora community in Poland is on the right way :)

You can download some photos here: http://tinyurl.com/3bgkzz. I'm
writing this in a hurry, and I will put my photos somewhere ASAP.

Regards,
Pawel