[Ambassadors] Very disappointed - What's our role as ambassadors?

Francesco Ugolini fugolini at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 1 12:49:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Eunir Augusto wrote:

> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 21:10:46 -0300
> From: Eunir Augusto <euniraugusto at gmail.com>
> To: fedora-ambassadors-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: [Ambassadors] Very disappointed - What's our role as ambassadors?
>
> Francesco Ugolini, I'm with Silvio structuring the site in Portugal, but
> give me your opinion: you think more important to translate the main project
> Portuguese Lusitanian than start a site in Portugal?
>
> 2008/7/31 Francesco Ugolini <francesco at ephisia.org>
>

>> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Sílvio Reis wrote:
>>
>>  Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:44:27 +0200
>>> From: Sílvio Reis <silvioreis.fedora at gmail.com>
>>> To: fedora-ambassadors-list at redhat.com
>>> Subject: [Ambassadors] Very disappointed - What's our role as ambassadors?
>>>

>>> What is our role as ambassadors?
>>> I think that is promoting the Fedora in our country, am i wrong?
>>> So I became ambassador to promote Fedora in Portugal.
>>> But I believe there are ambassadors who don't think this way, at least in
>>> Portugal.
>>> As already announced in this list, it will start soon the site for the
>>> project Fedora Portugal.
>>> The other 5 Portuguese ambassadors were invited on several occasions to
>>> participate in the website.
>>>
>>> More than a month passed and still not got an answer.
>>> The point is this: I live in Luxembourg and I am alone in this
>>> adventure, *should
>>> I start the project without any support? *
>>>
>>> The only support I have had, has been the Brazilian ambassadors as Eunir
>>> Augusto (which made most of the work!), Erick Gomes and Rodrigo Padula.
>>> In Portugal Fedora is unknown, has a bad translation, has no wiki and just
>>> does not have a community.
>>> So we urgently need a web site with a forum and a wiki.
>>> We need to bring together the users, and encouraging more people to
>>> translate the Fedora.
>>> With the help of Brazilian ambassadors, the site could start operating
>>> next
>>> month.
>>> The question is: who will be there?
>>> That is why I ask your opinion:
>>> *it is worth starting the site even alone, without the support of another
>>> 5
>>> Portuguese ambassadors?*
>>>
>>> Sílvio Reis
>>>
>>> http://www.projectofedora.org/
>>>

>> Ambassadors are people coming from different experiences that work
>> promoting Fedora around the world, joining events (e.g. LUG meeting, Linux
>> events etc...), talking with people.
>>
>> Your role as ambassador it to represent Fedora in your city, in your state
>> and wherever you are. It's an important role.
>>
>> You are disappointed because the other people don't help in the site, I
>> think this isn't a problem, everyone help in his own way, so if someone
>> prefer to work in a specific field s/he is free to do this, don't worry.
>>
>> The translation and general localization is one of the most important
>> challanges we are facing, and I'm sure what you are doing and what many
> [...]

The first goal is to talk with people around us (around you too),
so I think you have to work on the way "all you" think it's the better
one.

If everyone want to help provide a service you could join the forces
and try to find a compromise. Maybe create content in Portugese and then
if someone want to translate them in Portugese Lusitanian (according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusitanian_language it's considered an
extincted language) he could be able to do that. I don't want to say
that someone is wrong because everyone here comes with a different
background and has different perspectives for this experience.

Hope to have answered your question

Best regards

Francesco Ugolini