[Ambassadors] What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Ujjwol Lamichhane ujjwol at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 10 02:18:53 UTC 2008

Oh, we've the Live CD for a long time now. Did anybody use that medium on a

> slower, older computer? Surely not. Otherwise you would have noticed, that
> the Live CD is very slow there. The USB stick/variant may be fast, but the
> CD which we're now promoting at our download page better and more that the
> installation DVD, is IMHO not a good store sign as it is just slow. It even
> has not a localisation - folks, not the whole world is speaking english,
> just there is America on the worldmap! I know people from fairs, which are
> really frusted by their first try with a Live CD as it was just English.
> Yes, we maybe can create a spin, but these ones, we cannot offer on the FTP
> and HTTP mirrors, because Fedora is already too big. On the other hand, the
> issue of a non-US keyboard layout when trying to generate a localized
> version of the Live medium is still not fixed. There were some tries to
> solve that on LinuxTag 2008, but as far as I know, afterwards nobody again
> cared about and it went down. Remembering, that promoting our so cool Live
> CDs does not help in areas where the Internet is slow and old, I'm doing
> hereby, too. I don't want to remember, that the Fedora 8 Live media even
> killed crypted swap partitions...really a nice feature. By the way, does it
> do that still?

I completely agree with Robert in Live CD. I don't know what is the
requirement of the Live CD but it doesn't moves forwards after freezing in
the login though my RAM is 512MB,64MB Video Memory,1.6Ghz Pentium IV Comp,
which i think meets the requirement for the Live CD. All other distros like
Ubuntu, Opensuse,mandriva's live cd runs well in my comp but it's sad for
Fedora. And talk about fedora 10, the graphical installation didn't started
at all, text mode installation work after i rebooted my comp same freezing
has also occurs to the X. I don't know what to do. I filled a bugzilla.They
asked some xconf file and logs and now i don't know what will happen to that
bug And my comp doesn't run fedora10.

Though, i love fedora and will be using it. There are many things Fedora
Needs to improve in the upcomming versions...

Regards,
Ujjwol