[Ambassadors] Re: spending our Q4 money (README)

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 14:31:01 UTC 2008

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Max Spevack wrote:

> (2) Give regions the resources that they need to create swag, CDs, and
> any sort of marketing materials that the regional leadership wants.
> The hope is that all the stuff created can last for the entirety of
> the Fedora 10 release cycle, or reusable resources that folks need.
> In short, long-term planning with short-term money.
>
> NA -- From an event perspective, Q4 is a bunch of smaller events, so
> in my mind I set aside about $2,000 for that.  I'd like to set aside
> another $5,000 USD for the NA leadership to tell me the best way to
> spend it.  Some of it is already allocated for the purchase of
> stickers in NA that Mairin Duffy is taking care of.

Hey NA Ambassadors -- help me spend this money.  I'd like to figure out
what we want to do with most of it before we all disappear for
Christmas.  How can we spend a few thousand now to set you guys up for
the next few months in terms of re-usable resources and/or swag?
Clint, I know you sent me an email about CDs recently that I haven't
written back to -- why don't you guys who are leading things up in NA
ping me some time on IRC and we can brainstorm if need be.

> LATAM doesn't have any events at all in Q4, but I'd still like to get
> about $3,000 USD spent on our behalf in that region, just to start to
> get shirts, stickers, posters, or whatever stuff they'll need as next
> year's conference season gets started.  I expect that we'll spend more
> money on LATAM in the early parts of next year's budget.

Rodrigo, I desparately need your guidance here.  I also need to know
when FISL will be in 2009, and what you're thinking you want to make
Fedora's goals for that show.

> APAC -- I'd like to let Harish Pillay take charge (from Singapore) of
> getting a bunch of Fedora swag made up and available for distribution
> in that region to our Ambassadors.  For this, and also for funding
> some of the events currently in that region, I'm allocating about
> $3,000.

Also looking for some guidance here.  One thing we've been discussing is
trying to get some of our APAC ambassadors together at an event like
OSSPAC, or something else in Singapore.  Separate this potential money
from money to be spent in India.  I'd like to hear from some of our APAC
Ambassadors what they'd like to do with the money.  Is Charles Peng on
this list?  I see him a lot on Planet Fedora, and I'd like to hear any
of his thoughts.

=========

In general, I'm afraid that if we don't make responsible plans for how
to spend this money, the quarter will trickle on by and we'll miss the
chance to set ourselves up with resources that we need for 2009.

thanks,
Max