[Ambassadors] DVD Media for North America

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 05:11:16 UTC 2008

Hi all,

So I anticipated this somewhat, but was hoping the prices were a bit
closer to the CD media.  It turns out the media company we chose for
replicating CDs gave us a great price:

Item                            Quantity       Price per Disc
Total Price

x86 Live CDs                3000             $.576                       $1728

These discs are in production and are slated to arrive on my doorstep
December 23.  (A discussion of distribution has already been had, so
please don't address that here.)

Unfortunately, and it makes total sense, the DVD media requires more
components and such, so the pricing is a bit higher:

x86 Install DVDs          3000            $.785                        $2355
x86_64 Install DVDs    3000            $.785                        $2355

Which brings us to the dilemma.  The budget we just finished at
yesterday's meeting indicates that we wanted two runs of DVDs at
$1800.  Had I been thinking about it, the costs should have been
higher for DVDs over CDs, so I apologize for the at oversight.
However, the dilemma still remains, thus we have some options.  I
discussed some of this with folks in IRC this evening and here are the
options I see possible.

Option 1:  Produce Live CDs for x86_64 as well as a smaller run of x86
Install DVDs (approximately $1800 worth)
Option 2:  Produce smaller amounts of the installer DVDs (both x86 and
x86_64), approximately 2300 could be produced at this price.  The
price point might be higher, I've got an email into the media company
asking this exact question.
Option 3:  Produce more Live CDs of x86_64 and then add Live CDs for
x86 (or respins if they are ready soon).  This would ignore the
install DVDs totally, and isn't an unreasonable idea, but I'm not for
this one.

There are probably other options, combinations of these that I didn't
list because of time/space.  If you think one of these are viable,
let's talk about them over the next couple days.  I'd like to place
the order on Friday before 5pm EST.

Cheers,

Clint