[Ambassadors] Ambassadors Meeting EMEA - IRC Log 2008-01-16

Fabian Affolter fab at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 16 21:36:12 UTC 2008

<fabian_a> it's time...let's have monthly Fedora Ambassadors Meeting for
EMEA
<tc1415> we need dramatic music or something...
<fabian_a> sure... ;-)
<tc1415> lol
<nihed> so let the music play
<nihed> :)
<fabian_a> Please state your wiki name please (aka roll call).
<GeroldKa> GeroldKassube
<kital> JoergSimon
<tc1415> BenLewis
<fabian_a> FabianAffolter
<jdieter> JonathanDieter
<red_alert> SandroMathys
<rsc> RobertScheck
<nihed> NihedMbarek
<rivrandi1> JensKuehnel
<pingou_laptop> PierreYvesChibon
<fcrippa> FrancescoCrippa
<AndreasR> AndreasRau
<fugolini> FrancescoUgolini:
<couf> BartCouvreur (somewhat)
<MrTom> ThomasCanniot
<fabian_a> Just a reminder. We'll still follow our meeting protocol to
make this meeting quick and efficient.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/IRCHowTo#Protocol
<fabian_a> Now, please open our meeting page at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Meetings/2008-01-16f or the
agenda if you like
<fabian_a> sorry,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Meetings/2008-01-16
<fabian_a> Report current status of FAmSCo
<fabian_a> I guess that most ambassadors already know that the FAmSCo
election is over
<fabian_a> The members are RodrigoPadula, ThomasCanniot,
FrancescoUgolini, FabianAffolter, JeffreyTadlock, AndreasRau, and JohnBabich
<fabian_a> FrancescoUgolini will be the chair.  FabianAffolter the
vice-chair.
<GeroldKa> ?
<fabian_a> GeroldKa
<GeroldKa> How many votes are for each nomination? Is it public?
<rsc> !
<GeroldKa> because I mentioned the FAMSCo has a "problem" with this election
<GeroldKa> as you can read in the ML
<GeroldKa> eof
<fabian_a> yes,
http://fabaff.blogspot.com/2008/01/famsco-election-of-chair.html
<fabian_a> let me search the announcement. maybe fugolini knows where it is
<fugolini> mhh
<fugolini> ?
<fabian_a> fugolini
<fugolini> What kind of problem? (do you refear to Bob mail?)
<fugolini> eof
<rsc> GeroldKa:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-January/msg00038.html
- that?
<GeroldKa> no that URL which fabian_a postet and with problem I think
Bobs mail
<kital> !
<fabian_a>
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee/Meetings/2008-01-12
<fabian_a> kital
<kital> i dont think this is the place to discuss this bob thing
<kital> eof
<fugolini> !
<fabian_a> fugolini
<Lirva> Chiheb Chabchoub
<fugolini> I think it refers to Rodrigo absence, but, as Bob know we
decided to hold the meeting on saturday
<fugolini> but Fedora Board reviewed the election and officialized this
<fugolini> so i think it seriously impossible that there was something wrong
<fugolini> but i agree with Kital
<EvilBob> !
<fugolini> eof
<fabian_a> EvilBob
<EvilBob> not at all, my problem was with you personally, besides it is
much better to discuss it behind closed doors and out of the public
eye... same old ambassadors BS, it is not a problem.
<EvilBob> EOF
<zydoon> ZiedFakhfakh
<GeroldKa> ?
<fabian_a> thanks for your input EvilBob
<fabian_a> GeroldKa
<GeroldKa> excuse my bad english EvilBob; does BS stand for BullShit?
<EvilBob> GeroldKa: +1
<GeroldKa> thanks, eof
<fabian_a> By the way, thanks to everybody who have voted. Unfortunately
only 24% of all ambassadors did it.
<fabian_a> Anything else about FAmSCo?
<fabian_a> no, next topic: Ambassadors Membership
<fabian_a> As of 2008-01-15, 292 Ambassadors have been verified (signed
CLA and joined 'ambassadors' group).
<fabian_a> There is a FAmSCo proposal of cleaning-up the the list.
Chitlesh made a first start in 2006 and maybe we are going to continue.
<tc1415> ?
<GeroldKa> ?
<fabian_a> tc1415
<fabian_a> then GeroldKa
<tc1415> What do you mean by 'cleaning up'? does that refer to
unverified ambassadors, or something else?
<GeroldKa> what do you mean with "cleaning up"? Is it the "active vs.
inactive" discussion? eof
<tc1415> oh, eof
<pingou_laptop> ?
<fabian_a> people who haven't sign the CLA or not join the ambassador group
<rsc> ?
<fabian_a> no, "active vs. inactive" it's about to clean-up the list and
delete the people which invalid e-mail-addresses and so on
<tc1415> +1 to that
<fabian_a> if they want really join us, they can
<fabian_a> we don't ban then or something like this
<fabian_a> pingou_laptop
<AndreasR> +1
<pingou_laptop> you've answered my question by that time... eof
<fabian_a> rsc
<rsc> In the past, such a wiki cleanup was just crap. Are there really
so many ambassadors, that have invalid e-mail addresses etc?
<rsc> I don't see any big effort from that work, sorry / EOF
<fabian_a> we will see ;-)
<fabian_a> Anything else about that?
<tc1415> ?
<fabian_a> tc1415
<tc1415> Occaisionally in the wiki there are references to a
probationary period, what is the current take on this, and is there a
list of Ambassadors in it or out of it?
<tc1415> eof
<fabian_a> no, there is no list. tchung is handling the membership and
he is in charge about that issue
<tc1415> ok
<fabian_a> now events
<fabian_a> Please open Fedora Events
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents please
<fabian_a> As you can see are there 4 European events in the next few
months. Linux Solutions at Paris, FOSDEM at Brussels, Chemnitzer
LinuxTage at Chemnitz, and OpenExpo at Bern.
<fabian_a> First Linux Solutions?
<MrTom> !
<fabian_a> MrTom
<MrTom> Well everything is getting ready slowly as usual. But we are
ready and will have 8 ambassadors on the booth, which is huge :)
<MrTom> i'm only waiting for DVD from GeroldKa / Max and everything will
be perfect
<MrTom> eof
<fabian_a> thanks, MrTom
<fabian_a> FOSDEM?
<fabian_a> For me, accommodation is still an issue
<red_alert> +1
<MrTom> !
<fabian_a> MrTom
<MrTom> there are very cheap hotel in the suburb of brussels, where I
will spend the night with other French Ambassadors
<pingou_laptop> !
<MrTom> it is about 30€ for a room of 3 people
<MrTom> so about 10€ / person
<GeroldKa> !
<MrTom> It is really a hotel, the only thing is that the loo and shower
are at the end of the corrifor
<MrTom> but washed automatically when you leave the place
<MrTom> eof
<fabian_a> pingou_laptop
<pingou_laptop> Just to know, when are you coming ? when would it be
nice to be there ? friday or saturday ? eof
<fabian_a> ok, we discuss this later
<fabian_a> GeroldKa
<GeroldKa> it`s also a pitty that we can`t stay all together, but OK, it
depends on every portmonaie. But in my eyes THIS is an issue which must
be solved by the organising Ambassador
<GeroldKa> I feel unlike if I see, how welcome I relly be
<GeroldKa> thats all
<GeroldKa> eof
<fabian_a> Chemnitzer LinuxTage?
<kital> soll ich
<kital> ?
<fabian_a> kital
<kital> ok today i received our approval for a booth
<kital> Ambassadors are JoergSimon, RobertScheck, JensKuehnel and a last
chance for Daniel Kretschmer
<kital> i will get a olpc from rh munich - maybe
<kital> we have banners
<kital> get 100 dvd´s from gerold
<GeroldKa> !
<kital> don´t know if there are also shirts in the box
<kital> eof
<fabian_a> thanks, kital
<fabian_a> GeroldKa
<GeroldKa> I talked this afternoon with BruderTux and he trys to get a
OLPC for the EMEA Ambassadors from JanWildeboer
<GeroldKa> but he needs his next week for an event
<kital> BruderTux
<GeroldKa> he will inform kital later on, when he kwnos exactly when the
OLPC is in Stuttgart :-)
<GeroldKa> eof *bg*
<GeroldKa> BruderTux == FlorianBrand
<fabian_a> thanks, guys
<fabian_a> the last one OpenExpo
<fabian_a> Booth has been confirmed and we are enough people to handle
the booth.  Till now, we have no media and no swag.  The plan was to use
media from the same order as for the other European events.  Posters are
ready and we will get banners, too.
<fabian_a> Is there anyone who would like to discuss another up-coming
event or report a past event?
<fcrippa> !
<rivrandi1> !
<MrTom> !
<fabian_a> fcrippa, then rivrandi1
<fcrippa> there's also a event based in Italy
<fcrippa> my first “official” fedora ambassador event ;-)
<fcrippa> Lolug (a week ago) ask me to do a speech about fedora and
fedora project
<fcrippa> I'd like to invite other ambassadors from Italy (maybe from
north of Italy), or forward invitation through various local lug mailing
lists
<fcrippa> tomorrow I'll send an email to fedora-ambassadors ml with
event details and I'll start process to request dvds and so on...
<GeroldKa> ?
<fcrippa> eof
<fabian_a> thanks, fcrippa
<fabian_a> rivrandi1
<rivrandi1> Has been resolved.
<rivrandi1> EOF
<fabian_a> MrTom
<MrTom> could you share the sources of your banners and posters please ? eof
<fabian_a> there are some sources:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/Posters,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/StatisticsPoster,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FabianAffolter/Event-Stuff
<fabian_a> GeroldKa
<GeroldKa> fcrippa, when and where is that event? [maybe] I have to plan
a journey to Cassano, Verona and Parma. How far away from one of this towns?
<GeroldKa> eof
<fcrippa> GeroldKa: Lodi, 19th of February
<fcrippa> Lodi is far about 40 Km from Parma
<fcrippa> for me is not a problem to pick you up around this places and
get you to Lodi
<fugolini> !
<fcrippa> oef
<fabian_a> fugolini
<fugolini> Thank you. I have to see if i have some exams, if i will be
avaiable i will send you an email.
<fabian_a> fugolini, eof?
<fugolini> If you send me a pm i will
<fugolini> talk with you there
<fugolini> eof
<fabian_a> next
<fabian_a> Status of the NPO
<fabian_a> Perhaps GeroldKa or kanarip will tell us something about the
status of the European NPO.
<GeroldKa> sorry same status as last year :-(
<fabian_a> thanks, GeroldKa
<GeroldKa> unfortunately the german departments haven't answered yet
<fabian_a> Now the stage is open...anything else? Any more questions or
issues before we close this meeting?
<zydoon> !
<fabian_a> zydoon
<zydoon> I'am from Tunisia
<zydoon> it might be offtopic, but important
<zydoon> today I was invited in our Ministery odf Justice
<zydoon> to my surprise they want to migrate totally to linux
<zydoon> with a small pb
<zydoon> they have a couple of old VB apps bundled with Cristal reports
staff
<zydoon> is there any succefull experience ?
<zydoon> to that ?
<GeroldKa> !
<fabian_a> GeroldKa
<GeroldKa> Please go ahead to contact NayyardAhmed
<GeroldKa> he has done such a job in Mosambique
<GeroldKa> last year
<zydoon> good to know*
<GeroldKa> I'm really sure he is willing to help
<GeroldKa> and it was also a Ministry
<GeroldKa> eof
<zydoon> thx eof
<tc1415> !
<fabian_a> tc1415
<tc1415> In the agenda there is an entry about social networks, do we
want to discuss that now?
<fabian_a> fcrippa, something about the social networks
<fcrippa> just a report about last activities on social networks
<fcrippa> when I proposed linkedin group I had two goals
<fcrippa> 1)increase fedora visibility under some "very used social
networks" (linked and flickr in particular...)
<zodbot> Announcement from my owner (mmcgrath): A major part of this
upgrade / outage cycle is about to begin. Many systems will be up and
down over the next 15-20 minutes.
<fcrippa> 2) discover how many “fedora enthusiasts” are over social
networks and how many of these read fedora-ambassadors and fedora-mkrt
mailing list
<fcrippa> for linkedin this is the statistics:
<fcrippa> if you search “fedora” you can find about 450 people
<fcrippa> but only 35 are subscribed to fedora group
<fcrippa> (for the moment we have 3 managers: FrancescoCrippa,
PascalCalarco and JonStanley)
<tc1415> !
<fcrippa> what do you think about these activities?
<nihed> +1
<fcrippa> Is it better to try to promote fedora logo under social
networks or could be better to hide so low crowded networks until we
will much more numerous?
<fcrippa> oef
<tc1415> imho, they are an important facet of our community side
<|zeus|> enthusiasm and marketing it's different thing, IMHO
<rsc> +1
<tc1415> fwiw, the statistics for Facebook are: the Fedora Ambassadors
group has 4 members; the Fedora Rocks group has: 636members, the Fedora
Users group 234 and the Fedora -Linux group 71
<fcrippa> !
<|zeus|> i'm working on fedora advance in russian social networks, but
i'm read [fedora-mktg] for a different reason :)
<|zeus|> for example
<fabian_a> |zeus|, please follow the protocol
<|zeus|> sorry
<fabian_a> i guess it would be a good idea to add the statistics to the
wiki page
<tc1415> !
<fabian_a> as an overview
<fcrippa> +1
<fabian_a> fcrippa
<fcrippa> in facebook you can looking for a group, but in linkedin you
have to receive right link from a "marketing" people
<fcrippa> or read link from fedora wiki
<fcrippa> some social network require "active" approach
<fcrippa> eof
<fabian_a> tc1415
<tc1415> I justed wanted to invite any and all Ambassadors who are on
Facebook to joint he Fedora Ambassadors group, since I'm sure there are
more than 4
<tc1415> eof
<fabian_a> anything else for today?
<fcrippa> !
<fabian_a> fcrippa
<nihed> !
<fcrippa> what do you think about opportunity to invite some "VIPs"?
(like JimWhitehurst or other important people in fedora... max, paul,
etc...)
<fcrippa> eof
<tc1415> +1
<fabian_a> nihed
<nihed> tc1415, do you have a link of the group on Facebook thank you eof
<tc1415> nihed: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8344782027
<fabian_a> are we done?
<AndreasR> +1
<fabian_a> 5
<fabian_a> 4
<fabian_a> 3
<fabian_a> 2
<kital> !
<fabian_a> kital
<rivrandi1> ! Can stay the german ambs stay behind?
<zydoon> good night everybody
<rivrandi1> Coordinating the drive to Fosdem
<kital> one more thing - alan cox will come to open expo
<kital> eof
<GeroldKa> gesehen
<nihed> good night :)
<fabian_a> Fedora Ambassadors Meeting EMEA 2008-01-16 has been
adjourned. Next meeting in February 2008.