[Ambassadors] Re: Fedora 9

Davidson Rodrigues Paulo davidsonpaulo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 15:32:24 UTC 2008

2008/1/18, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>:
> There was a open call in fedora-devel list and all of the names were
> suggested from people in the community and need to pass through legal
> review which has already been done. The names won't be changed now.

So sugestions are made on fedora-devel... Good to know this. :-) We
need to make more and better sugestions, because if that list contains
only the better names among all those suggested, I don't want to
imagine the names that were not been approved...

I heard that the fisrt Fedora codenames were all alchool-related. Zod
is a fiction character. Moonshine is a home-distilled alchool made
specially in places where this production is illegal. Werewolf is a
legendary monster.

We really want to associate Fedora with alchool? Fedora is not made by
drunks, I'm sure. Developers may drink, but they don't produce any
code or work under effect of alchool, I'm sure (and, if yes, I think
is better if Fedora users don't know that). And what about monsters?
Has someone here ever seen a werewolf, a chupacabra, or Zod? Fedora is
real, and its codename need to be something undoubtedly real.

Finally, I can't figure out how 3 diseases names could be accepted as
options. What type of marketing could we do with names like those,
"Fedora 9: Sick, like you"?

Why I'm saying this? Because we have a list with codenames that vary
from bad to worst and we are responsible for this because we don't
suggested better codenames. We need to participate this process before
we start do have Fedora Dracula, Malt or Ebola...

By now, let's choose a codename that is not so bad.

Best regards,

Davidson Paulo
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DavidsonPaulo