[Ambassadors] My vision on Fedora and student partnerships

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Tue Jun 24 00:01:05 UTC 2008

(Resent, as I was not subscribed to this list until now)

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 05:51:23PM +0200, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> > * The voting UI.  Every member can go to the list of proposals and vote
> > them up or down, Digg-style.  Bill sees on Fedora Planet that a new idea
> > has been proposed for "tracking cell phone numbers".  He likes the idea a
> > lot -- not just because it's a good idea, but also because Alex took the
> > time to explain it well.  So he clicks on the link and votes the idea up.
> > Note: this implies that the bad proposals, like "I think Fedora should use
> > apt" with no good arguments why, will languish at the bottom of the list.
> Couldn't Brainstorm do it ?
>
> I know it was developped by Ubuntu, but that's not really a reason to not
> use it as it is GPLv2, the source is available here:
> https://code.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu-qa-website (the name is quite
> misleading).
>
> If we have one thing less to develop from scratch, it could be worth it.

Sure.

I initially assumed that Brainstorm was just another piece of the
proprietary ubuntu infrastructure stack.  Seeing as how the code is
public, if someone wants to step up and deploy and maintain it, I have
no problem with that.  I, however, will not touch PHP.  Ever :)

I'd also be happy to continue working on my prototype if we wish to take
that route.  It is not even close to the maturity of ubuntu's codebase,
but it does fit in with the other dozen of TurboGears apps that we have
in our infrastructure, and also blows brainstorm out of the water
technology-wise (100% ajax, real-time comet-based widgets, *not* php,
db-agnostic, etc).  I also added support not just for submitting and
voting on Ideas, but also asking/answering/voting on Questions as well.

luke