[Ambassadors] Cebit Report 2008

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 14:05:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:
> Gerold wrote:
>  > ...
>  >> As Cebit is the worlds largest computer fair, we should really get a
>  >> presence their next year.
>  > ^^
>  > I agree with one objection: The costs are somewhere in a budget and
>  > payable ...
>  >

>  That is not an objection, that's a problem ;-) Or, as I like to look at
>  problems; it's a challenge :)

+1 on need for presence at Cebit
+1 on challenge, not problem, of budget

As you may know, I organized the first Fedora presence at GITEX in
Dubai last September.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/GITEX for details.

I was new to the process, but despite my ignorance, Lloyd Almeida, a
local Fedora ambassador, and I managed to make one-on-one
presentations, booth talks on Fedora Project and OLPC, and give aways
hundreds of DVDs and live CDs.

It's hard to measure metrics on such an event (for one thing, we were
swamped with interested people), but I would guess the 500 media
distributed would count for something.

What was beyond measure was the benefit of sharing the Red Hat booth
with a few other Red Hat partners, who eagerly promoted Fedora along
with Red Hat.

Despite the high cost of living in Dubai, I managed to spend 5 days
there for under $140, thanks to a friend providing a place to stay.

It's a different audience than FOSS events, but well worth the effort.

Best Regards,

John Babich
Fedora Ambassador
Member, FAmSCo