[Ambassadors] Re: Meeting Minutes of Fedora EMEA NPO Meeting

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 22:32:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 22:00 +0100, Robert Scheck wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Obviously I'm unfamiliar with German law, but there *are* packages that
> > handle invoicing, balancing, etc. And people say the American
> > legal system is hostile to open source...
>
> Please be aware, that ERP/GnuCash etc. != NPO management software. Managing
> regular memberships or similar things is not the goal the software you have
> mentioned in your mails.
>
> A membership is a yearly fee, not a product. And if somebody has to add the
> "membership product" to all of the members yearly, it isn't IMHO the target
> audience - just to name an example.

Understood that you've been looking for a while for a workable solution.
However, this is the first that most of us have heard about the search,
and already you have had some good advice[1].  It also comes out that
you don't feel there is expertise or time in the EMEA NPO group to do
any needed coding.  Perhaps this is a problem that can be solved with
help from the larger Fedora community?  Before you decide you have to go
with a closed-source solution, recommend that you take the problem to
the greater Fedora community (via blog posts, mailing lists, IRC, etc.).

cheers - Karsten

[1]
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2008-March/msg00206.html
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org