[Ambassadors] Lost in translation (Ubuntu and Launchpad translations)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 21 07:34:16 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Hi,
> I have came a cross an issue that I didn't see discussed in this
> mailing list, but if there was such a discussion before please point
> me to it.
>
> First I have noticed that in previous and latest Ubuntu release that
> Gnome translation is much better that I see in Fedora 8 and 9. I
> wondered why and contacted croatian gnome translation team. The reason
> is that they use Ubuntu Launchpad to do the translations and so all
> translation are not automatically pushed to upstream gnome.
>
> I feel that this is broken by design.

Yes it is and they are already aware of this issue and don't seem to
have done anything about it. Refer rosetta list discussions for more
details.

> How is translation in Fedora handling translation and upstream?

The Fedora translation system differs in two important ways

1) Fedora does not rely on or use a proprietary service anywhere
including for translations. http://transifex.org being developed within
the Fedora Project is completely open and does the job just as well.

2) More importantly, transifex does not maintain private forks and
follows the upstream first mantra just like the rest of Fedora.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WhyUpstream

Rahul