[Ambassadors] For German speaking Ambassadors

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Wed May 21 18:05:30 UTC 2008

Am Mittwoch, den 21.05.2008, 17:56 +0200 schrieb Robert M. Albrecht:
> Hi,
>
> I have a workshop on Linuxtag (45 minutes, introduction into buildung RPMs)
> and would be glad, if someone would review my slides.
>
> www.romal.de/files/FedoraHowToParticipate.pdf
> www.romal.de/files/FedoraHowToParticipate.odp
>
> Any errors found ? Suggestions ? Improvements ?

Slide 8: Not sure if "cp -a /usr/src/redhat/ rpmbuild" is a good idea.
What if there are already files in /usr/src/redhat? I suggest using
rpmdev-setuptree. Also you should mention redhat-rpm-config and
rpmdevtools packages.

Slide 15: Instead of
        cp README* $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/share/doc/%{name}-%{version}
        cp COPYING $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/share/doc/%{name}-%{version}
you should simply use
        %doc README* COPYING

And if you use "cp", you should use it with the -p switch to preserve
timestamps and avoid multilib fun.

Slide 19: You should also mention "rpmbuild -ba".

Sile 26: No need to wait for a new release, you can also get your
package into a release as an update.

> Thanks.

The rest of the presentation looks good to me. Well done!

> cu romal

Christoph