[Ambassadors] Upcoming events and reimbursement guidelines

Diaa Radwan diaa.radwan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 15:52:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Ambassadors,
>
> I know we are getting close to the beginning of a new quarter, for events
> and swag budget.
>
> Several things are already in process -- Fedora 10 CDs in North America, for
> example, and some stickers that Ambassadors will be able to give out at
> events.
>
> In EMEA, we still have a bunch of tshirts that we made up earlier in the
> year, and budget for the upcoming events and Release Parties.

I am arranging three fedora release parties in Egypt, we didn't set
yet date for them as 2 of them are on universities, it takes some time
to determine a date(soon will be settled, and will be add on Fedora
events); just routines and paperwork. Having three parties would be
great, sure we will need some of fedora cool stuff.

> (a) No matter where you are in the world, we need scans of receipts for the
> expenses that you have at the event.  If we promise you a budget of $500 and
> you spend $500, but only have receipts for $400, then I end up in an awkward
> position where I either have to say NO to the last $100, or to reimburse it
> out of my own pocket.  Please don't put me in that position.

Well, in Egypt and most African countries 500$ is more than enough to
host an event, specially here in Egypt as we seek for a place to host
us for free( I am speaking based on my experience with the Egyptian
GNU/Liunx activities), so the expense wouldn't reach 500$ anyway
unless there is rent for a place, we may pay shipping tariff for the
CDs and tshirst; it wouldn't also reach 500$. so reimbursement for
500$ or more is really generous, but it would be hard to claim. Having
the smallest reimbursable amount as 500$ would make it hard for
contributors/ambassadors. As 500$ is the average salary for junior
sysadmin in Egypt.

Is it possible to collect more than receipt and reimburse them once to
more than ambassador(s) or for one ambassador for many events(,might
be in different quarters)? so that anyone have paid something can
claim it; without having problems.

> (d) In any countries using Euros, we try to do all our reimbursements either
> through PayPal or to route them through Fedora EMEA e.V.
> Thanks for your attention and for all your hard work.  If there are any
> questions, please post them to this thread.

What about middle east countries? most of them use US dollars as the
second currency and have no PayPal access, can we use the local
currency/US dollars, and convert the values to Euors ? or you mean
that reimbursement is allowed/possible for countries that uses Euros
as their local currency?

> --Max

Diaa Radwan
www.fossology.net