[Ambassadors] Ambassadors list

Francesco Ugolini fugolini at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 18 13:31:46 UTC 2008

2008/9/18 Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com>:
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2008, Francesco Ugolini wrote:
>
>> Could it be a benefit? You have to give me the answer.
>
> If I were a member of FAMSCo, here is how I would approach my job:
>
> (1) Are ambassadors worldwide finding it relatively easy to organize and
> event, put on the event, and then report the results of the event? Solicit
> feedback often, hold people accountable for event reports and the "process"
> around budgeting, but also be flexible and alter the process when the
> general Ambassador community speaks.
>
> (2) GOTO (1).
>
> (3) On other questions of policy, like mailing lists, listen to the opinions
> of everyone, and then make what FAMSCo thinks is the best decision, explain
> why in public, and move on.  If people don't like the decisions or
> leadership of FAMSCo, they will make that clear when the next election cycle
> comes.  :)  It is similar to the Fedora Board -- they listen to the
> arguments and discussions, but ultimately they make the calls on what they
> think is best.  Also, if the Fedora Board disagrees with a decision that
> FAMSCo is making, I am sure that someone from the Board will weigh in and
> try to encourage FAMSCo to think/discuss further.
>
> (4) Metrics.  How are we growing worldwide.  How do we encourage our best
> Ambassadors to further grow Fedora in their regions?  How do we continue to
> convert new people that we meet at events and through Ambassadors into
> contributors.  How do we *measure* this?
>
> Personally, I think FAMSCo is doing a good job of growing Ambassadors,
> giving some formal process to the way events are organized, and making sure
> that people all over the world are involved.  It is a difficult job, and
> FAMSCo's leadership, like almost all of us, is run by volunteers.  We're all
> on the same team, and let's continue to work together.
>
> --Max

First of all thank you for all the great suggestions about this issue
and about everything concerning managing and leading a community.

FAmSCo will work over those points: I'm sure we are facing a daily
improvement in our jobs thanks to the Ambassadors feedback and the
community in general ones. (and sure yours)

I hope the (going-to-be-definitive) decision FAmSCo is going to take
will be what people are expecting from us.
Moreover I personally asked to pause the discussion until FAD NA, I
hope everyone understand the importance to make people meet to discuss
this issue: after that date, if we will receive some big reasons
against FAmSCo position, we will surely be able to adapt this to your
needs. Meanwhile EMEA community has just expressed, with a reasonable
majority, their doubts on some of the options (open list etc).

We hope everyone know we are working to keep community up and running,
and to guarantee a constant, both in quality and quantity, growth. We
are a open community, with open processes: I hope everything we are
doing is clear.

Best regards

Francesco Ugolini