[Ambassadors] Software Freedom Day 2008 (Philippines)

Magie Antonio magie at fedoraproject.org
Sat Sep 27 06:01:07 UTC 2008

Hi,

Fedora Ambassadors Philippines took part in the Software Freedom Day
celebration last Sept. 20, 2008. More than 500 attendees flocked to the
National Computer Center building at the University of the Philippines in
Diliman, Quezon City for the whole day affair.

A booth was allotted to Fedora Project by the organizers, Bluepoint Linux
Users Elite (alumni of Bluepoint Foundation) and Commission on Information
and Communications Technology – National Computer Center (CICT-NCC).
Former Senator Jovito Salonga, Bluepoint Trustee Emeritus, gave the
invocation and Director General Angelo Timoteo Diaz de Rivera of CICT-NCC
delivered the opening remarks. Linuxcare founder, former Linux Foundation
CTO, Linux Professional Institute and Free Standards Group founding
sponsor Arthur Tyde delivered the keynote and talked about Oracle
Unbreakable Linux. Tyde is currently a Linux & Open Source Solutions
Architect at Oracle Philippines. The plenary session was capped by
presentations about Open Source for the Visually Impaired, SM's Open
Source Experience, IPv6, and the Fedora Project.

Other organizations that supported and sponsored the event were:
Philippine Linux Users Group, Philippine Linux Windows Users Group,
Slackware Linux Users Group, LinuxChix Philippines, One Laptop Per Child
(OLPC), Advanced Science and Technology Institute (ASTI), Computerworld,
Oracle Philippines, and Sun Microsystems. Trend Micro was the official
Codefest Sponsor that was participated by 15 college students from
different universities and colleges in Metro Manila.

The Fedora burnfest was a huge success. There was an overwhelming demand
for Fedora discs and USB sticks. Participants also expressed interest in
joining the Fedora Ambassadors. They are also looking forward to the
Fedora 10 release party in December. We hope to receive support from
FAMSCO by then. ;)

More details and photos will soon be posted at http://bluepoint.com.ph/sfd08/

Regards,
Magie

--
Marie Grace Gaffud-Antonio
Bluepoint Institute of Higher Technology Foundation