[Ambassadors] The lack of quality video drivers is destroying Fedora.

Jason Benedict Low jbenedictlow at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 06:11:32 UTC 2008

Nirmal Pathak wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've found interesting article written by some Fedora Fan.
>
> --snip--
> Guess why? Not quality video drivers leave the machine with only some
> default drivers and that is bad because some users would like to play
> games or start some eye-candy things like Compiz Fusion.
> This is negative effect to the community and some users of the Fedora
> community leave Fedora in interest to other distros that have that
> drivers.
> --snip--
>
> I too agree with above snip from article to certain extent. I wonder
> what Fedora project is upto taking above thing in consideration.
>
> --snip--
> I am strong supporter of the ideals of the open source and really love
> Fedora. I notice some mismanagement and lack of cooperation between
> official and unofficial Fedora projects. Probably we all would benefit
> more if the official Fedora updates and the Livna updates were more
> synchronized. And update of the kernel does not leave the system
> without video drivers or other vital parts. In that case, more and
> more users will leave Fedora and migrate to other GNU/Linux
> distributions even if they are "evil" or have signed suspicious
> contracts with 3th party companies...
> --snip--
>
> What you guys think about above snip from the Article??
>
> Link to Article:
> http://spreadfedora.org/sf/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=61&Itemid=54
> <http://spreadfedora.org/sf/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=61&Itemid=54>
maybe to stick with FOSS, Fedora do not need to include the proprietary
driver or codec in Distribution but can work with this vendor, if they
have linux driver for it, to create a third party yum repositary and
allow EU to choose during install-time to include it. Just my feel......

--
Best Regards,
Jason
VoIP = sip:jasonbenedict at fedoraproject.org