[Ambassadors] Re: Self-Introduction:

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 11:36:03 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 07:36:51PM -0400, Kam Salisbury wrote:
> Hi, I'm Kam Salisbury. I live and work in Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA.
>
> >What other projects or writing have you worked on in the past?
>
> Several small articles and tips regarding using Linux to get real world
> tasks accomplished. Some items are more suitable for other system
> administrators or hobbiests.

Fantastic, an experienced writer!  Very happy to have you aboard, Kam.

> >What level and type of computer skills do you have?
>
> Over ten years experience supporting and using computer technology in
> Windows, Novell and Linux environments.

Looks like you'll have no problem learning several toolsets, then.
I'm sure you've already read from the introductory "join" information,
but you can find us on IRC at irc.freenode.net, #fedora-docs.  We'd
love to talk to you there and get you engaged in some beneficial work.

> >What other skills do you have that might be applicable? User interface
> design, other so-called soft skills (people skills), programming, etc.
>
> No published programs to claim fame to but definetly scripting capable -
> shell, HTML/CSS, PHP, Java. As a network manager I am comfortable speaking
> in front of groups.

That's marvelous!  I love speaking in front of groups teaching skills
like DocBook.  We are supposed to have a FUDCon event this winter,
probably happening in January in Boston.  Do you think you might be
able to attend?

> >What makes you an excellent match for the project?
>
> I want to help.

And that is, by far, the most important qualification.  We can teach
people practically anything except willingness to be a part of FOSS.
Once you have that, everything else is just a short learning
experience away! :-)

Thanks for getting involved Kam, I look forward to talking to you on
IRC at some point.