[Ambassadors] The lack of quality video drivers is destroying Fedora.

Avi Alkalay avibrazil at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 19:34:17 UTC 2008

As far as I know, Livna policy is to only include open source software. It
is a repo for patent-problematic, but yet open source software. So MPEG-4,
MP3, AAC, H.264, Xvid, MPlayer etc stuff -- that all has open source
implementations -- are available on Livna, and this is enough for playing
virtually all multimedia content you can get.

Also, the nVidia and ATI drivers at Livna are the open source ones -- not
the original, more feature rich, more powerful, 3D capable, binary ones.
I believe there is also a license problem when you download the original
binary drivers, repackage them and put them someplace else for downloading.
They are not freely distributable, I think. So if you repackage these binary
drivers you are violating their licence for distribution.

What I think Livna (or other repo) could do is what the JPackage project
does for a long time: provide nosrc.rpm packages.
These are only the source RPM without the license-problematic stuff. From
the user perspective, he'll have to download the nosrc.rpm file plus the ZIP
file from ATI/nVidia web site and issue one simple rpmbuild command to get
the installable RPM.

Altought I understand the political and religious guidelines of the Fedora
project, I still believe this is a huge problem that should be discussed and
fixed somehow. So in this point, I don't agree with Paul Stauffer in his
previous e-mail.

Regards,
Avi

http://avi.alkalay.net/blog