[Ambassadors] Red Hat Virtual Experience report

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Fri Dec 11 05:04:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Scott Dowdle wrote:

> MY MAIN POINT IN SENDING THIS EMAIL IS... how many enjoyed it and
> would like to use it for Fedora?
>
> My only regret though is that the event was outsourced to
> virtualevents365.com (this was my first use of their service) and that
> it, I assume, is a closed service/product... and based strongly on
> Flash..  If there were unresolved concerns about using
> virtualevents365.com for a Fedora virtual conference, maybe Fedora
> could setup up a DimDim server (http://www.dimdim.com/) as an almost
> suitable substitute that is much more open/free?!?

The things that are actionable here are:

(1) Figure out if DimDim is in a state where we could successfully use
it to try out a Fedora-like virtual event.

(2) Depending on the answer, do one or more of the following:

* Put together an event in DimDim, just because it would be interesting.
Anyone care to volunteer to look into this?

* Work on making DimDim better upstream.

* Put together a virtual event on IRC.  We already know that Fedora
Classroom is a successful virtual education model.  We did an online
FUDCon a few years ago, and I think we've learned a lot since then that
would make for a good event, especially if it was one day with a strong
focus, etc.

--Max