[Ambassadors] The 4f-problematic of Fedora.

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 18 09:04:16 UTC 2009

Hi,

> friends - this is a clear thing , we are all friends, the world is
> pink and there are no conflicts (until proven otherwise)

Not really. But at least we're striving for it in our community.

> features - is a clear thing to, fedora is a distribution huge amount
> of features (perhaps not enough features ;-) we need more).

Again, we try to always introduce new features.

> first - there is my first problem. This is like a racing duel with
> other distributions. We can not win on all sectors. This is more a
> destination, our goal.... We WANT to be the first, but we are not
> always the first.

t's like you say : we want to lead free software innovation (and we
often manage to).

> freedom - This one is my biggest problem. What's the definition of freedom?
> The definition of freedom, which was definied by the FSF, formed the
> understanding of freedom in the whole world. And the FSF (Richard
> Stallman himself) said, that fedora is not free. So what's the current
> understanding of freedom in the fedoraproject?
> I haven't found arguments to discuss with someone about it.

IIRC, the problem with the FSF was about the Fedora trademark and logo
that are not free.

Other than that, all software and content in Fedora has to be under a
free license:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#SoftwareLicenses

So to sum up, you could see the 4 foundations (not the 4 F, remember
that in some languages, those foundations are words that don't start
with an F :) as goals towards which we are striving. Sure we don't
always manage to achieve them, but we're trying very hard, and we're
setting an example.

And if some other project manages to be the *first* to develop some
new *feature* in a *community-friendly* way and with *FOSS only*, it's
good, because it means that others are doing the Right Thing (c). ;)

Best regards,