[Ambassadors] Polos for North America

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Feb 6 02:17:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 07:27:19PM +0100, Robert Scheck wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Feb 2009, Rodrigo Padula de Oliveira wrote:
> > We made a different polo model for Brazil.
> >
> > You can see our idea here:
> >
> > http://www.jaymeayres.com/arquivos/tshirt.png
>
> Ouch. You may want to rework your polo model, as a "don't" [1] of Fedora is
> there in use - the flag of a country. I think, as ambassadors we should
> respect such things more than somebody else at Fedora, and especially when
> getting in touch with people all over the world. It can give a worse taste
> to us as Fedora Project, as flags are politically dangerous.
>
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Languages#I_wish_to_use_my_country.27s_flag_to_refer_to_my_language...

I don't think that applies in this case.  The flag on this polo is
specifically to represent a country, which uses a specific flag.  I'm
presuming the Brazilian flag is there to say, "I am an Ambassador from
Brazil."

If the flag meant, "I speak Brazilian Portguese," then the rule about
flags for languages should apply, right?

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41