[Famsco-list] Re: [Ambassadors] [Discussion] Reporting template for ambassadors.

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 17:36:32 UTC 2009

(Removing famsco-list from the Cc)

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, inode0 wrote:

> There are many examples of others who don't even provide the courtesy
> of saying they are no longer involved but rather just don't give any
> reply to attempts to contact them and give no other indication of
> their availability on the wiki.

You have touched on the key distinction between Ambassadors and some of
the other parts of the Fedora Project, which is that Ambassadors are a
high-touch entry point to the community, where *personal interaction* is
more common than just getting on a mailing list.

You become a contributor after meeting someone at an event.  You form a
cluster of contributors who all are in the same region, or who are all
in Fedora because another Ambassador recruited them.  Look at all the
people that Gerold and Joerg have recruited into the project, for
example.

=======

The CountryList page shouldn't just be a page.  It should be a little
web form where people give their location and get back a list of the
Ambassadors who are closest to them.  Then the potential contributor can
talk with that Ambassador, learn more about Fedora, and be put into
contact with the right other people who can help them be successful.

Ambassadorship and mentorship are very similar, and Ambassadors are in
some ways the "guidance counselors" of Fedora.  They need to know enough
about everything going on in the Project to speak intelligently and
point someone in the right direction.

So yeah, knowing who is active or dormant in the *AMBASSADORS CONTEXT*
is an important thing.

The distinction that John (inode) and Susmit make is a good one.

=======

>> Someone may be busy for a certain period of time, but that does not
>> mean he/she can not reply back his/her unavailability. If someone
>> does not reply in a month, it is for sure that he/she is not
>> interested any more.
>>
>> What we can do is mail all the ambassadors asking if they are still
>> "alive", if someone does not reply in a couple of week, send him/her
>> another ping and even he/she does not reply in a month, remove
>> him/her.
>
> I think I can agree with this more easily. This sort of housecleaning
> could be done periodically and probably wouldn't need to be done that
> often. I would think once a year or one a release cycle would help
> matters a lot.

I think this is one useful action item, good for someone who enjoys
policy and process.

I think that making the CountryList page more interactive is another,
and that is good for someone who wants to work with the Fedora Account
System, or who wants to bribe one of the Websites/Infrastructure/FAS
guys to help them out.

--Max