[Ambassadors] Re: Picture Book....

Ian Weller ianweller at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 16:56:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 11:35:17PM -0800, Doug Berry wrote:
> 4. The most economical option would be to go to
> the POD publishing source itself, which is Lightning
> Source. They are the printer/distributor for
> most of the POD Publishers, including Lulu. The
> drawback here is that we would have to commit to
> publishing more than one book. If we use Lightning
> Source the base cost for the full color book would
> be $6.80 per book. We could sell it for $14.00, not
> an unreasonable price and make over $7.00 a book. Our
> costs would be $144.00 up front for their set-up costs.
> As you can see, we would only have to sell a couple
> dozen books to recoup that cost.
>
> 5. Perhaps, if we used Lightning Source we could do
> a Picture Book for each Fedora Release. "The people
> of Fedora 11," then use the same event photos, but
> add pictures and bios of core developers, Red Hat
> people, other Project members, etc.

Hmm. We were thinking about doing four books right from the start,
aligned with the four foundations -- "freedom, friends, features,
first", since we're going to try and get pictures of *everybody* at
FUDConF11 and fit most of them in somehow, plus pictures of people who
couldn't make it, provided by themselves or whatever.

In unrelated ventures:
1. I talked to spot about the release forms, he'll speak with RH
   Legal(tm)(R)(sm) about it.
2. Please don't use Scribd, it took me five minutes to register an
   account through OpenID just to download the file in a form that
   doesn't eat my browser alive :)  You can just attach PDFs to your
   emails, I don't think the list scrubs them.

I don't know about anyone else, but it seems like Lightning Source is
the way to go... I would like to see what Paul thinks about all of this,
so I'll bug him the next moment I see him on IRC.

--
Ian Weller <ianweller at gmail.com>                  http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint:  E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226  B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36