[Ambassadors] Fedora UK Community Website

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 15 23:03:18 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 15.01.2009, 23:27 +0100 schrieb JoergSimon:
> Am Donnerstag, 15. Januar 2009 23:03:20 schrieb Christoph Wickert:
> > I don't think so, Jörg.
> > There are certain HowTo's that can not be published at fpo due to
> > judicial reasons.
> > Nevertheless they were written _by_ Fedora users (or
> > even by Fedora contributors) _for_ Fedora users. Would you say that this
> > is not Fedora? Or all the people in the forums and on IRC who are doing
> > a great amount of support. Are they not Fedora?
>
> For me personally not, if they violate our legal and ethical rules!

And what if they do not violate our guidelines? Are only people who
signed the CLA allowed to contribute to Fedora?

To make this clear: I wasn't talking about our guidelines but about
American law. Remember, fpo is hosted in the US.

> > As I said before: I agree we should try to move as much content over to
> > fpo, but if someone is not willing/able to contribute there or if it's
> > not possible to publish content there, there should also be an
> > opportunity for these people to BE FEDORA.
>
> I can not follow your argumentation - if a program or any other contribution
> is not free or violates the guidelines it can not be in Fedora and can not
> named Fedora! Why People like ChitleshGoorah and many others fight to free
> Software from Licences to become part of FEL or other Fedora Spins - if i
> understand you right, you think, it is ok to violate our guidelines and
> distribute them in another way and say it´s just a community thing and we
> give it the Fedora Brand nevertheless ?

No, you are not understanding me right. Let me give you two examples:
I'm pretty sure we are not going to publish a howto about using Skype or
playing music in MP3 format. Not because we are not allowed to, but
because we don't want to encourage people to use proprietary software or
standards but FOSS and open formats like ogg instead. Nevertheless there
are people who want/need to do this and they are looking for information
we cannot provide at fpo.
Or think about a howto about playing encrypted DVDs on Fedora. We are
not allowed to publish this information due to legal restrictions that
have absolutely nothing to do with our code of conduct. Nevertheless a
lot of people from the Fedora community want this information and there
are people from the community that are able to provide it. But not at
fpo.

I hope now you understand what I was thinking of and why I still think
there need to be places besides fpo where people from the Fedora
community can participate.

> CU Joerg

Regards,
Christoph