[Ambassadors] Thoughts Regarding Campus Ambassador Program

Pawel Sadowski mcgiwer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 22 11:07:29 UTC 2009

2009/1/21 Alejandro Acosta <aacosta at fedoraproject.org>

> I believe this is a great project and it is very important to start it as
> soon as possible since we have a lot of potential and talented people in
> university willing to participate.
>
> I've had some opportunities to work with this young people and I've
> witnessed some local projects been achieved. In the University of Chihuahua
> (my hometown) there is already an Open Source University Meetup [1] lead by
> a Sun Campus Ambassador.  This doesn't mean that the field is already taken
> but it just mean to express how good the chances to succed are.
>
> I think is important to have -provide- a more social-driven tool to
> interact since the target audience in Universities is a little more
> diversified thus complex. The link provided may serve as a good example or
> maybe something like this[2]
>
> It doesn't look clear to me what will be the interaction/relation with
> local ambassadors (where exist) and if it should be expressed in the "What
> is required of Campus Ambassadors?" part.
>
> Just one last thought, perhaps we should find a way to enforce the part of
> what do they get just in case someone is expecting this is a regular (paid)
> job. The Sun CA's get paid, but that's another ballgame.  Just an idea, I
> don't really think of something better at this moment.
>
> Hope this could help
>
> Greetings
>
> Alejandro Acosta
> Fedora Ambassador / Chihuahua, MX
> aacosta at fedoraproject.org
> http://alejandroacosta.com
>

> [1] http://osum.sun.com/group/uach
> [2] http://www.meetup.com
>

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Jack Aboutboul <jaa at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I would like to get some feedback regarding the proposed program.  You can
>> find the wiki page here:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Campus_Ambassadors
>>
>> Let the discussion begin.  Any feedback is greatly appreciated, I hope to
>> get everything in order and announce this to the world soon.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jack
>>
>> --

> Alejandro Acosta
> Fedora Ambassador / Chihuahua, MX
> aacosta at fedoraproject.org
> http://alejandroacosta.com

Hello,

Well, as Alejandro said, I believe it could be a fantastic innitiative,
but... At least if it comes about Poland, there are let's call it SIGs on
campuses here, inter alia those related to Linux. What my concern is, how to
connect the both groups and how to cooperate with them. Because by then we
would be the only distribution which has such project running on campuses.
Of course it would be a kind of honor to be part of such innitiative... my
doubt is if it wouldn't be duplication of work, and you know, these voices
that we're trying to make our own way of promoting Open Source... :)
Althouth by then we could be the pace setting side ones, and that could be
the fantastic side... ;) I hope you know what I mean :D

Cheers,
Pawel