[Ambassadors] Need Help

Sun Jun 28 05:53:06 UTC 2009

Hi Zaid,

I will be responding to the thread here (the off-list replies we have
had can be read in the context)

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Zaid Chauhan<zaid at zaidnet.co.cc> wrote:
> Hello sankarshan,
> I am from Sabarkantha ,
> Where no body knows about open source, very well ,not event Engineering
> students,

I am not surprised. Over the years, it has been an interesting trend
to watch students not take trouble to obtain and cultivate the skills
which would provide them with enough demonstrated experience when they
are looking for jobs.

> Because , all region is using Pirated Xp & other windows version,
>
> First i created local group taking people together who are interested in
> Open Source,
>
> We have first done workshop of introduction about fedora & other Open source
> systems in "Rock-On Concert " of Government Engineering College, Modasa
>
> Where give lecture to the Students and tells them to join this movement of
> Open source but i previously said there is no such Open Source environment ,
> I found very few students,

Would it be possible for you to share notes from this
lecture/presentation ? One of the usual issues I notice is that
talking with students exhorting them to directly participate in FOSS
is counter-productive. Demonstrating that they can do their day-to-day
stuff using FOSS/Fedora instead of proprietary products would make a
difference. For example, showing them how to do their assignments of
Data Structures or, C/C++ on Fedora and so forth.

> You can check website of that party, www.rockon09.co.cc - I am the
> Administrator of that Party

A rock concert is sure an interesting way to spread Fedora.

> Then i started to distributing fedora OS by downloading from Internet, And i
> get good response in it,

How many are using it ? Have they faced any issues ? How are you
responding to any issues/complaints that they have raised ? For
example, NIT-Durgapur / NIT-Agartala have had active mailing lists for
their UserGroups to facilitate end user discussions and foster a sense
of community.

> I talked to my HOD of Computer/IT department and request him to use Fedora
> in Labs of Our Department in Government Engineering College, Modasa,
>
> He agree to use it in one Lab. and i installed the fedora in 42 Computers
> for Students to use it,

Again, how are they using it ?

> After that my exam duration is started so i am inactive for 2 months,

I'd suggest that you take some time out to get to speed. Fedora 11 was
released during this absence and, you should be ready to help handle
requests for installation or, talk about the new features etc.

During the period when you were sponsored into the Ambassador Group,
you should have received Welcome mails, please go through them and if
you have any queries, request that you be assigned a mentor to guide
you as to how best you can put your skills and competencies to use.

> Now i want to do events on city level not only to college level,

I'd suggest "walk and then run". As of now, I haven't seen concrete
results from your time at the college level. Setting up a lab is just
the first step, the subsequent steps to coach a good team of people
who can help you is most required.

> So i need banners,stickers, and other Advertisement products,

I have said this again and, I'd like to re-iterate :

[1] I'd like to see you coordinate with the respective teams to ensure
that the artwork ie. banners, stickers and flyers are consistent with
the Fedora Design Guidelines.

[2] You should be talking with the Marketing team to ensure that the
content on the flyers is relevant and, perhaps figuring if you'd like
to have content in your local language too.

> And it will also cost me for rent of Hall for events, Giving snacks to
> attendees , Electricity, and other Local expenses ,

I'd like to see a plan :

- what are you planning as a run-up to the event
- how much would it cost per line item
- what are your plans
- how will you estimate that your events have been successful
- what do you intend to do as a follow-up to this event

> It's My mistake that i don't give reports of events, Because i thought it is
> local events so not necessary to report or advertise it,
>
> But it's my mistake , so i am sorry,

It would be helpful to have your blog syndicated on Planet Fedora.

> Now i want to plan Event for my city, How i will get banners & etc. and
> money for its expenses

By drawing up a plan. To be very brutal "I want to do an event, I want
money for Banners" does not really provide any pointers as to what
exactly you are planning.

> Fedoras
> Hardworking Ambassador - Zaid Chauhan

I don't think there is a need to provide a qualifier to "Ambassador".
Being an Ambassador means that you are the face of Fedora in your
region. Demonstrating and, living the spirit that keeps the Fedora
community ticking should by default make you a role model for your
peers.

~s