[Ambassadors] our wiki categories

Susan Lauber laubersm at fedoraproject.org
Sun Mar 1 19:19:12 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Francesco Ugolini <francesco at ephisia.org> wrote:
> 2009/3/1 Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:
>
>> Opinions?  Help to make this happen?
>>
>> Clue:  we are already trying to do this work in the wiki gardening
>> team, but need all your help to stop the proliferation of
>> [[Category:AmbassadorsCountryname]] and so forth.
>>
>> Thanks - Karsten
>> --
>> Karsten 'quaid' Wade, Community Gardener
>> http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
>> AD0E0C41
>
>  I think this is a really important thing. Every day we talk about how
> to simplify Ambassadors life: this is one of the task we should take
> care of, in order to achive our goals.
>
> The structure you have explained seems really rational.
>
> Questions: Does the categories renaming be done for each page manually?

At the moment the answer is yes
There is some work being done to script the actual edits but it is
still a manual process to identify what needs to change.
The more pages done as people use them, the less work for everyone.

> A small proposal: create a wiki, with all the new category names, in
> order to give all the possibility to know what to change and how to
> change.

That is not a bad idea.  Go ahead and start one :)
In the meantime these three links might help you get started:

To see all existing categories:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Special:Categories
This does not mean you have to use these.
Some should be merged.
Many need to be changed but it is pretty easy to go into the existing
category and see what pages need a new category.

To see what is in Events now:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Events
Again, many more categories are needed.
Some need to be merged (FAD and Fedora Activity Day for example could
all be in [[Category: Fedora Activity Day (FAD)]]
All the pages already listed there would be better off in subcategories.

The names of the pages should also be in a natural language.
See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help:Wiki_structure for more
general information.
There is a "move" tab on the page to use for renaming.

Finally, as Karsten mentioned, a few people are already working on
this at a very slow pace.
Chat about it in #fedora-ambassadors and ask questions there or in #fedora-docs.
We want the names to make sense for the people that use them and the
people that will search for information.
That means that the people who use it need to get involved in choosing
the names.

-Susan (one of the wiki gardeners)

--
Susan Lauber, (RHCX, RHCA, RHCSS)