[Ambassadors] inactive ambassadors, a proposed solution

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Mar 1 20:22:45 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:47:51AM +0200, Ewan Luca wrote:
> I understand the fear of being too strict about what an ambassador job
> description should be. I'm afraid that, without such a job description the
> problem will not go away. A new ambassador (like me for ex) it's left
> wondering about Fedora wiki and IRC channels without a clue what to do,
> ending posting where it's not supposed to and generally being in the
> way.

I don't think these ideas are at odds.  Rather than a job description,
it could be, "Typical duties of an Ambassador," and the mentoring +
guide can lead people in the door.

We just want to avoid a strict description that locks in too little
and leaves out too much.  I know people are a great representatives of
Fedora, but cannot or will not do the various steps to get the title.
I'd rather see us be more inclusive without being too diluted.

> Fedora wiki and all the community materials are a lot to be taken in by a
> new contributor, and without a mentors program implemented it's even harder.
> I liked the steps implemented for joining. I had 3 clear task to complete. I
> think this tipe of clear assignments are needed and we can discuss exception
> later.
> I'll also feel the need for "Quick starter guide" - a 10-20 slide/pages
> presentation of the comunity structure and resources. If there is such a
> thing I didn't find it yet and maybe it should be one of the steps for
> joining "Step 4 - Read this"

That sounds like a great guide to write on the wiki.  I personally
dislike slide presentations for conveying depth of information -- they
are naturally compressed compared to full paragraphs of content.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41