[Ambassadors] mentorship, sponsorship, etc.

Mani A a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 22:20:33 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 3:08 AM, Rangeen Basu <sherry151 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 3:38 AM, Mani A <a.mani.cms at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the best way to measure it is through a simple credit system.
>>
>> 1. a.)  Ambassador /prospective ambassador reads *important* article
>>       (Only some articles may be eligible for credit)
>>    b.) Prospective ambassador answers related multiple choice questions
>>    c.) If a minimum score of 90% is not attained, then the candidate
>> goes through the whole process again.
>>
>> On successful completion, candidate gets 1 credit or some credit.
>
> Bad bad idea. As others said, Fedora is a community and not a
> corporate. So there should not be any rankings but only arying degree
> of responsibilities which is decided in the process itself.

The main goal is to ensure standards. So we can always put the end result in
subjective terms. We should use as many technologies as is possible.
Communities
should know how to develop their own standards.

How do you propose to ensure that a prospective ambassador is
sufficiently capable and understands things?
Mentors can not find the time for all the spoon feeding.

>> 2.  a.) Ambassador/prospective ambassador contributes X no of commits
>> to a Fedora project.
> A lot of people I know who do not commit code, but are exceptionally
> good ambassadors (I don't want to start giving examples).
>
>> Only exceptionally hard working programmers should be able to become
>> ambassadors based on their code contribution alone.
>
> What if the person is extremely smart and outgoing and diplomatic and
> has all those other qualities that makes him just perfect for te ob of
> an ambassador, only ting he lacks is that he is management student and
> knows noting about programming.Should he be denied the opportunity to
> contribute.

You have misunderstood the point. The proposal is 'Code contribution
alone should not sufficient'.

I have just started with the 'specs'.

> Please don't get the idea that I am against mentoring or sponsoring. I
> strongly support it. I only wanted to put forward to you my
> understanding of the matter in hand.

I am also not against mentoring. This system can be useful in both situations.

It is difficult for mentors to ensure that 'prospective ambassador is
sufficiently knowledgeable'.
But mentors can be very useful in helping with organisation and
implementation of programmes.

Best

A. Mani

--