[Ambassadors] Certification Projects

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Sun May 10 20:11:03 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Abhradip Mukherjee
<abhradipmukherjee at gmail.com> wrote:
>>Can you explain a little bit what you mean by certification projects?
>>
>>John
>
> Thanks John for replying. Basically the idea is to let the students think of
> newer ways they can contribute to fedoraproject. We have a set of teachers
> here to mentor such students. If one idea is selected (I will post the
> chosen ideas on the mailing list for you to comment on ), we will start a
> project on that idea with a set of students and a mentor. Upon successful
> completion of the project they will be certified by fedoraproject. This is
> what I intend to do.

I'd really recommend that you talk to Chris Tyler who teaches at
Seneca College. They do work with Mozilla and Fedora, and Chris
effectively leads Teaching Open Source. You'd likely get more
assistance from those who are already walking down the road you wish
to trod.

http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/TeachingOpenSource_Mailing_List

The long and short of it is that you really need the instructors to be
involved and grok both F/LOSS and Fedora if you want to be successful
in using Fedora projects for coursework. Of course the benefit to the
students is huge.