[Ambassadors] Re: Replies to Certification Projects

scott mcbrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Mon May 11 13:45:36 UTC 2009

Abhradip,
Thank you for the additional information about what you're trying to
accomplish, but I think you'll run into some problems trying to accomplish
it.

(1)  Certifications are useful to employers because they provide a
credential from a vendor or organization which indicates that a certificate
holder has the knowledge or skills for a product or job role.  If one can
get a Fedora Contributor Certificate for such varied things as writing
documentation or holding Fedora Events, or writing code on OSS projects,
etc.  What is the credential that having the certificate passes to the
perspective employer?  How does an employer who is trying to hire a python
developer know that this CV that has a Fedora certificate has worked on
python with Fedora or written some articles on the wiki?  It sounds like
what you're creating isn't a certificate, defined by ISO-17024,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_17024

(2)  Certifications don't get jobs.  If you have hiring managers hiring
employees without an interview, or technical evaluation, but soley on their
list of certifications, then you haven't experienced the joy of hiring a
"paper" <some certification>.  Someone who holds a credential, but who has
no knowledge about the subject that the certificate certifies.  One of the
more prolific examples is the paper MCSE, a candidate who memorizes a bunch
of answers to the Microsoft multiple choice tests, but who has never
actually administered a machine.

Instead of a certification, one could list "Fedora Project Contributor" on
their CV and be prepared to answer questions, or volunteer information
during the interview.  As someone who has worked as a hiring manager, I'm
far more impressed by being able to discuss someone's programming project,
in detail, and the interviewee's experience in that project than the fact
that they have a Net+ certification.  As an added bonus, after working on a
project, the candidate has EXPERIENCE in the field that they are now
interviewing, which is by far more valuable than a certificate.

(3)  Administration.  Who is going to create and maintain these
certificates?  How will they be logged, queried, and managed?  How can an
employer verify that this candidate has earned a certificate?  How is
"participation" in the Fedora Project measured, who makes the determination
that the participation is or is not worthy of a certificate?  Or, is this
certificate just something that people with a fas account can create, in
which case the certification proves that someone is technically
knowledgeable about the Fedora Project enough to create a fas account...

I think that ultimately you're wanting to create a document that identifies
your students as Fedora Project Members, not a certificate.  A certificate
would have such broad scope that it would end up being meaningless and just
another line item on a CV, which perspective employers would ignore.

-Scott