[Ambassadors] The Countdown to Fedora 11 Begins!

Jack Aboutboul jaa at redhat.com
Tue May 12 14:09:39 UTC 2009

Fedora 11 is less than two weeks away. The excitement is in the air as
well can't wait to see the product of more than a few long months of
hard work. It's prime time to start the countdown clock and start
talking about the upcoming release, talk about what users can expect to
see, highlight new features and describe some of the enhancements that
we can all look forward too. As part of a series of Podcast and print
interviews, Today, I would like to present the first podcast in the
Fedora 11 Podcast series, an Interview with long time Fedora contributor
and Fedora Release Engineer Jesse Keating. The Audio can be found here:

"Fedora 11 General Overview with Fedora Release Engineer Jesse Keating"
-
[http://jack.fedorapeople.org/Fedora%2011%20Overview%20-%20Jesse%20Keating.ogg]

In the interview, Jesse talks to us about the achievement milestone of
putting together 11 releases, the process of planning and putting
together a Fedora release, how it was done for F11 and also some of the
tools, which he helped create which are used to put together the Fedora
distribution. He talks about Pungi [https://fedorahosted.org/pungi/] and
Revisor [http://revisor.fedoraunity.org/] which are tools used to
compose the Fedora tree and create a custom remix or re-spin,
respesctively. He also talks about some of the changes which have taken
place under the hood to enable Fedora's new super fast boot up. Jesse
takes us on a whirlwind tour of some of the greatest enhancements we can
look forward to in F11, including changes to PackageKit and a new
upstream version of RPM, the new default ext4 filesystem, enhanced
fingerprint support for authentication and what we can look forward to
in the future releases of Fedora.

The Full Fedora 11 Feature list can be found at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/11/FeatureList and you can look
forward to more in depth coverage of some of those features and of the
upcoming release in the days to come. Fedora 11 is sure to prove a
highly innovative and technology advanced release.

Fedora 11. Get ready. There's reason to be excited!