[Ambassadors] Why desktop Linux Sucks

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue May 19 15:18:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Jason Benedict Low
<jbenedictlow at gmail.com> wrote:
> Satyajit wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>    I came across this video by cris and bryan:
>> http://lunduke.com/?p=429
>> They did have a few valid points..
>> You can pick up the slides here:
>> http://lunduke.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/linux-sucks.odp
>> A few areas they spoke were bringing a unified standard for packaging,
>> single multimedia system and a few more.
>
> This is Nice. Yes, Unified standard in all Linux distro and conbine effort
> will be nice.

While I admit I won't watch these guys based on my personal history
with them, I am not an advocate of mass standardization. One of the
reasons the open source world thrives and innovates is the lack of
constraints. You have a good idea, run with it and prove it. If you
do, people will start using it and we all benefit from the innovation.
The competition of ideas and the ability to create your own small
experiment and watch it grow is a good environment for us to work in.
It does create some mayhem, but I believe the advantages far outweigh
the disadvantages.

John