[Ambassadors] Help me: Fedora vs. Ubuntu

José Roberto Colombo Junior joseroberto at ieee.org
Tue May 26 03:31:00 UTC 2009

Fedora packages are keep using the same name of them, instead of Ubuntu,
that change the name and broke some packages, what is not good for
programmers ... And Fedora also keep the original programs and configuration
of them. That's why I use Fedora.
Bye bye.

2009/5/25 Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero at gmail.com>

> Christos makes some good observations, but Juan's is a good suggestion and
> I think we should accent our positives.
>
> In my opinion -- and this may not be the prevailing one -- I don't believe
> that this should be treated as a football game where we congregate into fans
> waving banners and scarves -- "Go Fedora, Beat Ubuntu!" -- because I don't
> believe the FOSS mindset should be like that (and I hope it isn't). Nor
> should Ubuntu users think this way, of course, but they'll have to address
> that themselves.
>
> Ubuntu brings a lot to the FOSS table -- just as OpenSUSE and Mandriva and
> others do -- and all should be recognized for their contributions.
> Improvements made by one distro uplifts everyone else.
>
> Many people start off with Ubuntu, including me. I still use Xubuntu on two
> machines in my computer lab in Felton. But I ended up with -- and my distro
> of choice is -- Fedora because of the quality and innovation, the
> camaraderie within those working on it (pointing to all of you), and the
> dedication of those of us involved are intangible qualities that make Fedora
> superior.
>
> [That and our record of getting project and improvements therein upstream .
> . . .]
>
> Just an observation here, but you know your audience best, Tuan.
>
> Larry Cafiero
>

> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Juan M. Rodriguez <nushio at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I always sway people with this phrase: "Want to see tomorrow's Ubuntu? Try
>> Fedora today!" then proceed to explain how features are more important, and
>> the Fedora Philosofy:
>>
>> Freedom, Friends, Features, First
>>
>> It's worked out for me so far.
>>
>> -Nushio
>>

>> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Christos Bacharakis <cmpahar at gmail.com>wrote:

>>> The first argument that I come up with is that many Ubuntu sub-projects
>>> are not upstream. For example if an Ubuntu translator, translate a gnome
>>> string, Launchpad will not upstream the string to Gnome translations so the
>>> other distributions won't have that string translated.
>>> An another thing is that Ubuntu uses many tools like Launchpad which are
>>> closed source. Hey, we are a FOSS community over here.
>>>
>>> A personal argument is that Ubuntu is trying to be more like Windows and
>>> less than a typical Linux distribution. Evolution is good, but don't try to
>>> be more like your enemy for wining more fans. It's not right!
>>>
>>> I am a little bit tired so I can't think anything else right now. Hope to
>>> helped you. Good luck.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Christos Bacharakis
>>> cmpahar at gmail.com
>>> http://bacharakis.com
>>> GPG Key: 499F5C33
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Ing. Juan M. Rodriguez Moreno
>> Desarrollador de Sistemas Abiertos
> [...]

José Roberto Colombo Júnior - Eletrical Engineer - Linux User
IEEE #  90408028 - Communications Manager - IEEE Student Branch on Ilha
Solteira
Brazilian Fedora Ambassador
Phone: +55 17-97448897
E-mail: joseroberto at ieee.org - Skype: jose.roberto.colombo.junior