[Ambassadors] Fedora print magazine proposal from Linux Pro Magazine

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Fri Sep 4 15:10:11 UTC 2009

On 09/04/2009 09:16 AM, Adam Miller wrote:
> How can we as ambassadors help out? I'd for one (as I'm sure many
> others as well) would be willing to offer a helping hand if there is
> anything needing to be done.

<mchua> maxamillion: hey, thanks for your email on the ambassadors list
about the magazine!
<mchua> maxamillion: I'm writing a reply right now, but thought it might
also be faster to pop in here and see if you were on and had any
particular questions.
<maxamillion> mchua: no problem! I'm excited about it
<maxamillion> mchua: either way :)
* Fedora-Angel has quit ("Timed out")
<mchua> ke4qqq: (btw, if you get a chance to wham stuff into
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_print_magazine#Contribution_balance before
the call, that would r0x0r)
<mchua> maxamillion: ^^ is actually the biggest question that we have
right now - if you look at the original LPM proposal, they've pretty
much offered to do everything (because the assumption, I think, is that
most projects will want to have a shiny magazine out while doing as
little work themselves as possible)
<mchua> maxamillion: we immediately went "well actually, there's a lot
of great talent for this kind of stuff in the community, and we'd really
like to get involved with the writing/design/etc. as much as possible!"
* sankarshan has quit ("Are you sure you want to quit this channel
(Cancel/Ok) ?")
<mchua> maxamillion: but don't know what the value of "as much as
possible" is right now, and need to get them a more concrete
counterproposal Real Soon Now
<mchua> maxamillion: me and ke4qqq and spevack are going to be talking
with them on the phone in... about an hour and a half, to try to figure
this out. We need to figure it out by sometime next week (no specific
deadline for that decision, but that's something I'll ask about today)
<mchua> maxamillion: so with that kind of crazy timescale, the challenge
right now is gauging the reaction from the community, and what people
are interested in doing, on such short notice
<mchua> (which is actually what I could *really* use help on right now)
<mchua> and building a picture of what it might look like to have this
magazine come out, too. Once the magazine hits the stands, what does
this let Ambassadors do, what would you folks like to do with it, and
how can we design it so that it's Maximally Awesome for you to spread
the word with?
<maxamillion> Design is something we might want to discuss with Mo and
if need be include the whole design team
<maxamillion> as far as Ambassadors, I think we should make a proposal
to get some money from the budget to buy a large number of these
magazines in order to ship in Ambassador kits for events (but that's
just my opinion)
<maxamillion> it would be something I'd have to bring up in a meeting or
other communications outlet
<mchua> maxamillion: Totally. Mo's at the Summit in Chicago right now,
but I pinged her briefly on it Wednesday night (before we had too many
details, though) and have been trying to find designers.
<mchua> the email got sent to the design list also, but I'm not sure if
people will see it in time.
<maxamillion> ah nice
<mchua> Ooo, ambassador kits.
<mchua> Yesssssss.
<maxamillion> mchua: yeah, there are a lot of people at the Summit right now