Re: [Ambassadors] Fedora - Sponser Software Freedom Day

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, Roger Sinel wrote:

Yes, it would be nice to know what the sponsorship entails Max?

I know Fedora has supplied media and promotional material for some events where Ambassadors are present and talking about fedora.

But as where Canonical has supplied media for 200 SFD Teams worldwide, what has Fedora/Redhat agreed to with Software Freedom International?

My understanding is that Canonical is the *primary* sponsor of SFD, which is part of a contract that they had w/ SFD for a few years (I think this is the last year). That is why Canonical stuff gets sent automatically to various SFD activities worldwide.

Fedora agreed to be a smaller sponsor of SFD this year, mostly because it felt like the "right thing to do" because I know that a lot of Fedora contributors participate in Software Freedom Day -- I gave a speech at the one in Chapel Hill a few years ago.

Perhaps our sponsorship of SFD will increase dramatically in future years, and perhaps it will not.

This year, we simply provided a small amount of money to SFD as a way of lending Fedora's support to their efforts.

Software Freedom Day is a concent that is bigger than any single distribution, after all.

On the other hand, it seems like there have been a lot of people jumping up on the list in the past few weeks saying "I'm doing something for SFD, how do I get materials?"

That's a fair question, but it would have been helpful if those events were on the Events wiki page earlier, so that we could have done a better job planning resources for them. Especially in Europe, we're pretty much out of F11 CDs, because these events weren't listed back when we were thinking about how many we needed to make.

--Max