[Ambassadors] Fedora event @ SRM tech fest

Salvadesswaran P.S. salvadesswaran at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 12:49:14 UTC 2009

Fedora GNU/Linux Event @ SRM:

An event named Linux Lingo was organised today as a part of SRM
University’s tech fest, Aarush 2009. Myself and Mr. Ramadoss from
NRCFOSS, Fedora Ambassasador conducted the event. Ramadoss introduced
the students to the philosophy of free software and Stallman’s crusade
against the imposition of proprietary software. He delved into the GNU
philosophy and gave several examples to emphasise the concept.

He then talked about the open source community following which we
demonstrated a Fedora 11 installation. We got a volunteer to install
the operating system. The audience had several doubts about the
install process, and we resolved them. For the fun of it we tried to
install in Hindi once, but reverted to English finally.

After the demonstration, I spoke about the software available in
Fedora, and then about a few basic command line utilities. It was
followed by a talk on bash scripting.

The day ended with our answering a few questions from the students
about open source, real IT revolution and choice of software. Over a
hundred students participated in the event and were introduced to the
free software movement. We thank the coordinators of the event, Shiv
Deepak, Vipul Jain, Anisha Kaul and Prakhar Agarwal for the enthusiasm
they showed in organising this event.

--
Salvadesswaran Srinivasan,
SSN College of Engineering