Announcing Fedora Directory Server 1.0

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Dec 1 14:08:08 UTC 2005

We are proud to announce the release of Fedora Directory Server 1.0.

This release marks a significant milestone for the open source
community, who now have access to the code for the console and
administration engine as well as the previously open sourced LDAP
engine. This release uses the Apache httpd engine as its administration
server, and includes mod_nss - a rewrite of mod_ssl which uses the
Mozilla NSS crypto engine. The 1.0 release, in addition to its many
other features such as LDAPv3, Multi-Master Replication, and Windows
Synchronization, includes support for MD5, SHA-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512
password hashing, as well as many bug fixes. Fedora Directory Server 1.0
furthers the evolution and democratization of open source software in
making this powerful, enterprise proven technology available to all. It
is a boon for developers who are now able to port the full package -
LDAP engine, console, and admin engine - to many different platforms.

If you have used the previous version of Fedora Directory Server, we
invite you to try our new version. If you are using another LDAP server,
we invite you to try ours and let us know how it compares - we're always
looking for ways to improve. Our community is already active and
growing, and you are welcome and encouraged to join. There are many
ways: joining the mailing lists, reporting bugs, editing documentation,
writing scripts/patches/plug-ins, and many more.

Try it out! - http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Download
Our home page - http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/
Join our community! -
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Ways_to_contribute