Fedora Weekly News Issue 87

Thomas Chung tchung at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 14 08:56:53 UTC 2007

= Fedora Weekly News Issue 87 =

Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 87[1] for the week of May 6th
through May 12th, 2007. The latest issue can always be found here[2]
and RSS Feed can be found here[3].

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue87

[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/LatestIssue

[3] http://feeds.feedburner.com/fwn

   1. Fedora Weekly News Issue 87
         1. Announcements
               1. Fedora 7 -- what, when, and why
               2. Fedora 7 Deep Freeze/GA release schedule change
               3. Post-merge howto and FAQ
         2. Planet Fedora
               1. Red Hat Summit - Update from the Left Coast
               2. Red Hat Summit - Fedora Unity, Custom Spins of Fedora
               3. Red Hat Summit - ATI and Open Source
               4. Java One and OpenJDK
               5. Red Hat Summer Intern: Python Web Programming
         3. Marketing
               1. Liberations fonts from Red Hat
               2. Distrowatch on Fedora Repo Merge
         4. Developments
               1. Rawhide Merge Status
               2. AlphaCore Project Gets Help Patching The Kernel Spec File
               3. Zope. A Tale Of Two Threads
               4. Avoid Inane Regulatory Licensing Shakedowns
               5. Missed Contributor Returns
               6. Fedora Standards For Contents Of /etc/pki
               7. Sun's GPL'ed Java To Arrive Soon In Fedora
               8. DeltaRPM, YUMPresto plans
               9. Wireless Test Request for ipw3945 etc Users
              10. Why Does Nautilus Create Folders in ~ By Default ?
         5. Translation
               1. Completion Summary
         6. Infrastructure
               1. Cacti
               2. System Flux
         7. Security Advisories
               1. Fedora Core 6 Security Advisories
               2. Fedora Core 5 Security Advisories
         8. Events and Meetings
               1. Fedora Packaging Committee Meeting 2007-05-08
               2. Fedora Release Engineering Meeting 2007-05-07
               3. Event Report: 2007 Upstate Hamfest - South Carolina, USA
               4. Event Report: LinuxTag at Fachhochschule - Salzburg, Austria
         9. Editor's Note: Red Hat Summmit 2007
        10. Feedback

== Announcements ==

In this section, we cover announcements from various projects.

=== Fedora 7 -- what, when, and why ===

MaxSpevack announces in fedora-announce-list[1],

"The next version of Fedora will be released on May 24th. It will be
called "Fedora 7" -- not "Fedora Core 7". It's the most ambitious
release of Fedora that we've undertaken, and I hope that when we look
back at Fedora 7 one or two years down the road, the decisions that we
made for this release will have proven to be as impactful as anything
we've done in the Fedora space since the start of the Fedora Project."

In one sentence: "Fedora 7 has been about improving the manner in
which all future Fedora releases will be made."

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2007-May/msg00002.html

=== Fedora 7 Deep Freeze/GA release schedule change ===

JoshBoyer announces in fedora-maintainers[1],

"The bulk of the Core/Extras merge has now been finished, and the Release
Engineering team has been working hard to get things back in shape for
the final F7 release.  However, due to the massive nature of this
undertaking, we are not coming back online as fast as we had hoped."

"While this slip is unfortunate, it is also in the best interest for the
quality of the release.  Please bear with us as we strive to make this
the best release of Fedora to date!"

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-May/msg00236.html

=== Post-merge howto and FAQ ===

JoshBoyer announces in fedora-maintainers[1],

"Due to popular demand, I sat down and wrote up a brief howto for
handling packages in the merged world.  Given that I'm almost guaranteed
to have not answered all the questions, it's living under the wiki[2]
for the moment.

Hopefully it will give the package maintainers a high
level overview of what to do and how to do it.  Feel free to ask
questions and I (or others) will try to address them."

[1]https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-May/msg00220.html

[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JoshBoyer/MergeHOWTO

== Planet Fedora ==

In this section, we cover a highlight of Planet Fedora - an
aggregation of blogs from world wide Fedora contributors.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Planet

=== Red Hat Summit - Update from the Left Coast ===

PaulFrields points out in his blog[1],

"In the afternoon a bunch of Fedora folks (including your humble
reporter) gathered in a posh executive conference room, complete with
snazzy lighting and decor, for a video interview conducted by Kim
Jokisch and mainly shot by Red Hat filmmaker extraordinaire Tim
Kiernan[2]. Tim pops up again later in this post. We talked about all
the cool things going on in Fedora, including but not limited to the
new release. We also talked about what is so fricking cool about
working on Fedora. Why do we do it, beyone the simple "scratch an
itch" answers? I'm hoping some of this interview will make it out into
public space at some point."

[1] http://marilyn.frields.org:8080/~paul/wordpress/?p=778

[2] http://www.redhat.com/magazine/006apr05/departments/red_hat_speaks/

=== Red Hat Summit - Fedora Unity, Custom Spins of Fedora ===

MaxSpevack points out in his blog[1],

"So I'm sitting here in the first big Fedora talk at the Red Hat
Summit[2]. Jon Steffan. Bob Jensen, and Jesse Keating talking about
how to build custom versions of Fedora.

The tools that they used? Pungi, LiveCD Creator, and Revisor.

In my opinion, the ability to generate customized versions of Fedora
is one of the most important pieces of Fedora 7[3]."

[1] http://spevack.livejournal.com/14639.html

[2] http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/2007/

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2007-May/msg00002.html

=== Red Hat Summit - ATI and Open Source ===

ChristopherBlizzard points out in his blog[1],

"The (AMD) ATI[2] marketing guy on stage (Henri Richard) at the Red
Hat Summit[3] just committed to fixing the ATI problems with open
source. To paraphrase "most people are worried about what they will
lose…IP, etc…we're worried about what we can win." They know it's a
problem and they are committed to fixing it."

[1] http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=288

[2] http://ati.amd.com/

[3] http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/2007/

=== Java One and OpenJDK ===

TomTromey points out in his blog[1],

"Java One[1] is huge, much huger than I'd imagined. The opening
keynote had a steady stream of corporate luminaries onstage to talk
about their Java-related plans. Many thanks to Bruno for saving us
some great seats — and also to Tom Marble for making the effort to
include me in the various goings on.

The big news is that OpenJDK[3] sources are available, and that
Dalibor is on the initial OpenJDK governance board. Next step: replace
the remaining binary blobs with free software."

[1] http://tromey.com/blog/?p=350

[2] http://java.sun.com/javaone/sf/index.jsp

[3] http://openjdk.java.net/

=== Red Hat Summer Intern: Python Web Programming ===

WarrenTogami points out in his blog[1],

"Paid Intern Job through runs through May 14th and August 14th.
This position requires use of the Python programming language with the
Turbogears web application framework and a RDBMS database backend.
This position would be responsible to drive not just the
implementation of software deliverables, but also the creation of a
community project that works on its design and implementation.

Location: Red Hat's Westford, MA or Raleigh, NC office. Work Remote
over Internet is possible if you have the ability to work closely with
our engineers located in the American EDT timezone."

[1] http://wtogami.livejournal.com/16659.html

== Marketing ==

In this section, we cover Fedora Marketing Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing

=== Liberations fonts from Red Hat ===

RahulSundaram reports in fedora-marketing-list[1],

"Red Hat has released Liberation fonts[2] under the GPL+ fonts
exception license. Liberation fonts are metric equivalent to key
Microsoft fonts. This is a major milestone and significantly enhances
the interoperability of documents and content under these Microsoft
fonts in Linux."

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2007-May/msg00020.html

[2] http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/05/09/liberation-fonts/

=== Distrowatch on Fedora Repo Merge ===

RahulSundaram reports in fedora-marketing-list[1],

"The long-promised merge of Fedora's core and extras repositories is
finally under way: "Merge is going well now. A bunch of hiccups early
on as we moved our test scripts into acting with real bits and
databases and such, but now that that's over..." As for the hiccups,
Jesse Keating explains: "We're scrambling to create ppc64 builds of
all the extras packages, as those didn't exist before, but now they
will be built for ppc64. Also we need to hook up some software to make
rawhide appear. It may just be in package repo form (not installable)
to begin with, we'll see. I wouldn't expect anything this weekend."
For more information about the merge and other Fedora topics, please
check out the latest issue of Fedora Weekly News."

"Digg this up folks[2]."

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2007-May/msg00013.html

[2] http://digg.com/linux_unix/Fedora_merging_Core_and_Extras_repositories_today

== Developments ==

In this section, we cover the problems/solutions,
people/personalities, and ups/downs of the endless discussions on
Fedora Developments.

=== Rawhide Merge Status ===

BillNottingham gave us a heads-up [1] that a huge merged rawhide tree
had been pushed out to the master mirror.  MichaelSchwendt wanted to
know [2] if the wiki had been updated to document the merge process
and whether the tool was available publically.  DavidNielsen suggested
liquid celebrations [3].

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00776.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00786.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00782.html

DennisGilmore and JoshBoyer explained that the rawhide compose tools
were publically available in the form of "pungi" and "mash" and that a
rawhide report could be generated using "treediff" just as with the
old rawhide.

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00793.html

=== AlphaCore Project Gets Help Patching The Kernel Spec File ===

OliverFalk gauged the busyness of the kernel team by posting [1] a
request for help to patch the kernel .spec file so that Fedora can
continue to be ported to the Alpha architecture.  JoshBoyer asked [2]
for the patches, which DavidWoodhouse then reviewed thoroughly [3].
JoshBoyer and Jarod Wilson also took the time to provide detailed
feedback [4].

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00680.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00682.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00683.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00699.html

=== Zope.  A Tale Of Two Threads ===
Last week we reported [1] on the problems that the Zope package is
facing in living up to the packaging requirements of Fedora, and a
changed Python API.  The thread was replete with high emotion from
Zope users who felt that a compatability package for the EOL'ed
Python-2.4 should be included in the distro.  A separate thread about
a tool for reading the SMBIOS sparked a discussion about what the
people maintaining packages should do and should be called [2].  The
issues discussed in both threads overlapped considerably, having at
heart the issue of exactly who is responsible for what work and in
which manner.  And so, it was natural that the threads would
eventually merge and overlap.  There are two main threads buried in
here.  One of them contains all sorts of technical goodies about
SELinux and packaging, the other contains stuff to do with the random
electrical activity performed by the soft, squishy material in our
heads.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue86#head-9d00b6b611ad698b385581e36902aca0adf7d8bd

[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue86#head-ab47d69eeea718f121b1017265429be193885220

Disappointment with the decision not to pursue the maintenance burden
led JoshBoyer to clarify [3] that this was a decision by the Fedora
python maintainer, backed by the community in the form of FESCo.
DavidMackay still wanted to know why the responsibility was being
pushed onto the Zope maintainers when, as he saw it, the problem was
caused by the Python developers.  JesseKeating answered [4] that the
responsibility was theirs because this had been flagged over 9 months
in adavance as a major change by the Python developers.

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00372.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00391.html

JonathanSteffan made his position as Fedora Zope maintainer clear in
no uncertain way [5] when he posted references from upstream Zope
development that suggested that there would never be support for
Zope-2 with Python-2.5.  Jonathan asked rhetorically whether he should
really be expected to take on the massive and potentially futile task
that some were suggesting.  Following this DavidWoodhouse acknowleged
Jonathan's work and opened up a larger discussion about what it meant
to be a package maintainer [6].  David had taken a fair amount of
criticism for some of his earlier statements about package maintainers
and he took the opportunity to try to explain what he had been
thinking: namely that in order to produce a coherent collection of
separate codebases that worked together (e.g. a distro) it was exactly
necessary for maintainers to take on the sort of task to which
Jonathan referred.  "Dragoran" was particularly in agreement [7] with
a part of this post of David's in which he mentioned that it was
necessary for packagers to deal with SELinux issues.  Dragoran, David
and ManuelWolfshant were in agreement [8] that the package review
guidelines should be changed to make SELinux compliance necessary.

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00294.html

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00306.html

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00308.html

[8] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00311.html

HansdeGoede expressed irritation at DavidWoodhouse's apparent attitude
to package maintainers [9] and thus began a part of the thread, Gentle
Reader, into which you may not wish to delve.  Suffice to say it
involved accusations of bedwetting, political correctness,
Californianism and disrespect.  David's essential point seemed to be
that a higher standard and expectations should be applied to
packagers, while others thought that a higher standard of courtesy was
needed.

[9] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00317.html

There were, however, some very enlightening and useful parts to the
thread.  TillMaas drew attention several times [10][11] to the paucity
of good SELinux packaging documentation, and the problem of getting
help.  These points were acknowleged by David [12] who suggested that
packagers could file a bug against their package CC'ing DanielWalsh,
while noting that Dan might not be able to do all of this on his own.

[10] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00322.html

[11] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00427.html

[12] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00549.html

JakubJelinek replied to Till's specific problem with the information
[13] that DC_TEXTREL shared libraries should fixed not by massaging
SELinux contexts, but by compiling with the appropriate
position-independent code flags.   TillMaas referenced some material
from UlrichDrepper suggesting that it wasn't simply an "-fpic" problem
and KarlMacMillan agreed with this [14].  Further probing from Till
and JonathanUnderwood led to a wealth of information from PaulHowarth
[15] and KarlMacMillan [16] about where SELinux contexts should be
set.

[13] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00554.html

[14] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00565.html

[15] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00587.html

[16] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00643.html

Jakub's expertise was further drawn out by a question from Hans about
the difference between "-fpic" and "-fPIC" which led to yet more
nuggets of information [16].

[16] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00561.html

=== Avoid Inane Regulatory Licensing Shakedowns ===

A Russian contributor, DmitryButskoy, opened a thread [1] about
potential temporary confiscation of hardware running Free software due
to new regulations.  Apparently in Russia it is necessary for a
business to be able to show a "certificate" attesting to the origin of
the software so that the police can determine that it is not pirated.
Obviously as Fedora is downloaded for "free" this is a little
difficult to obtain.  JoshBoyer sympathised but wasn't sure what this
had to do with the Fedora Project, pointing out that the licenses for
all packages were available.  Dmitry answered [2] that it was an extra
hurdle for those that wished to deploy Fedora in a production
environment and that failure to address such problems could mean less
testing, which would in turn affect RHEL.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00697.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00721.html

NicuBuculei pointed out that such regulations are usually carefully
worded at the behest of the BSA to make this difficult.  Nicu also
reported that Romania has a registry of acceptable programs and that
one is not supposed to use any software not on that list! [3].
AlanCox thought [4] that this was a violation of EU single-market laws
and hoped that the law was thus now obsolete.

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00705.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00714.html

Suggesting that the print-your-own license was a plausible route,
AlanCox noted that other people faced with similar situations often
made a hard-copy of the GPL, and also suggested [5] that as Dmitry had
a boxed-set supplier that they might be able to do something.  The
idea was further expanded [6] to include a webpage of the Fedora
Project auto-generating a suitably official looking license and text.
All the usual disclaimers about not being lawyers were applied by
participants to the discussion.

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00710.html

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00722.html

BenjaminKosnik volunteered [7] to be responsible for producing an
impressive and accurate document, and further discussion with Dmitry
about which shiny metal seals would make policemen happy turned up
some pertinent counter-examples from the UK [8].  In response to
RickVinyards suggestion that official Fedora cover images be available
for CD/DVDs, JeremyKatz pointed [9] to those which are already
available on the wiki and JefSpaleta suggested that they be bundled
with the torrents.

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00719.html

[8] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00730.html

[9] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00748.html

RahulSundaram and others provided a link to the Fedora Project EULA,
but AndyShevchenko responded [10] out that what was needed was a
Russian-language version which could be approved by the police.
SimoSorce had an inside scoop [11] that promised further information
from one of the prominent Russian distributors (of ALTLinux) and
suggested that collaboration and co-operation with other such
distributors would be mutually beneficial for Free Software.
MatejCepl warned of the dangers of meddling with legal matters [12].

[10] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00749.html

[11] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00745.html

[12] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00760.html

=== Missed Contributor Returns ===

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams made a return to the list [1] after an
unscheduled absence and was greeted warmly, not least by an offer from
DonRussell of a tasty bug in mgetty [2].

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00613.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00633.html

=== Fedora Standards For Contents Of /etc/pki ===

RichardJones wanted [1] details of what it was acceptable to put into
the /etc/pki directory as he was writing an application which needed
to generate and store some TSL certificates. DavidWoodhouse objected
[2] to the length of Richard's signature (which was a Red Hat UK
corporate one) igniting not so much a flamewar, as a brief brush fire
which culminated in AlanCox suggesting that the proper place to put
such information was in an "Organisation:" header [3] and that IBM had
succesfully sorted out issues like this in the past [4].

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00580.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00590.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00639.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00788.html

Directly addressing the substance rather than the form of the original
email, JoeOrton replied [5] that there was at present no standard
being enforced and asked for further details about the requirements of
the application. Joe futher suggested that it would be best to put TLS
certificates in "/etc/pki/tls/appname".  Richard provided links to the
background of his problem [6], which is the libvirt toolkit for
interacting with Xen, QEMU and KVM.

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00645.html

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00662.html

=== Sun's GPL'ed Java To Arrive Soon In Fedora ===

Welcoming the release of (most of) Sun's Java SDK HansdeGoede wondered
[1] what strategy should be followed to integrate it into Fedora.
AndrewOverholt and TomTromey [2] thought that platform coverage was
going to be an important issue as was the ability to remove the
remaining non-Free encumbrances.  BillNottingham wanted to know
whether these non-Free pieces could just be ripped out, or whether
they needed replacements coded [3].  Responses identified variously:
font-rendering [4], color-management and parts of Java 2D rendering
[5].  TomTromey pointed out that Sun were keen to do all of this and
AndrewHaley is going to figure out a more detailed answer to the
question.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00497.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00528.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00535.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00539.html

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00566.html

Addressing the issue of platform-coverage, RahulSundaram [6] argued
that x86 and x86_64 constituted about 80% of current users, based on
the statistics gathered with the smolt-profiler.  DimiPaun suspected
[7] that it was more like 98%.

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00529.html

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00531.html

=== DeltaRPM, YUMPresto plans ===

ValentTurkovic wanted to know [1] whether yum-presto and deltarpm
would be installed by default in Fedora7.  JoshBoyer was able to
quickly respond in the negative [2], citing the late (frozen) stage of
the release cycle, while acknowleging the apparent advantages of the
software.  Valent posted a couple more examples of the bandwidth
savings obtainable and ManuelWolfshant pointed out again that there
was no doubt that it was useful, but that F7 was now in a freeze for
new features.  Manuel suggested [3] that rawhide might see the
inclusion of the software, and Josh clarified [4] that this would
probably be so, but that the repositories might not get changed to
enable them to work with the tools.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00483.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00485.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00521.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00524.html

WillWoods pointed out [5] encouragingly that in a mere six to seven
months Fedora 8 would be under way, but that the repository mirrors
would have to be considered.

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00527.html

JonathanDieter drew attention [6] to the fact that yum-presto and
deltarpm were both officially present in (what was called Extras for
FC6 and F7 prior to the merge of the Core and Extras repositories ),
but just wasn't included in any spins.  In a completely separate
thread about the merged rawhide push, Jonathan also noted [7] that
i386 updates were available using yum-presto, except for packages that
were in the old "Extras" repository.

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00534.html

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00789.html

=== Wireless Test Request for ipw3945 etc Users ===

A request from JohnLinville to test [1] a new wireless driver for the
ipw3945 drew lots of responses.  (In an earlier issue [2] we covered
earlier investigations of whether iwlwifi or iwl3945 worked best).
John wanted specifically to know the version of the last best working
kernel, and whether the new DaveJones kernels worked better.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00441.html

[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue83#head-288d7145f160acc3f8f3febf5b423ac4ab01971b

ThomasBaker initially found the new driver (iwl3945) worked better,
but then had to report failure [3].  JohnLinville suggested [4] the
appropriate bugzilla entry [4]. RichardHughes had a similar
experience, which led AndrewBartlett to suggest [4a] possible problems
with interrupt handling.  Richard started trying to track down the
problem by rebuilding iwlwifi.  He rebuilt succesfully using a custom
linus kernel, but failed with Fedora [4b], with what looked like an
incorrect include.

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00473.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00474.html

[4a] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00543.html

[4b] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00576.html

Both YuanYijun [5] and AndyGreen [6] reported instability but still
thought it was stable enough to use, comparing favourable to e.g.
earlier bcm43xx stability.

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00446.html

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00450.html

A detailed log from TomLondon seemed to indicate a possible renaming
issue [7] as a result of running both drivers alternately.  This was
confirmed in a follow up post by another user.  DennisGilmore and
AndrewBartlett had more negative experiences, leading DanWilliams to
request the output from "lshal". RalfCorsepius and JarodWilson did as
asked, leading Dan to enquire about whether SELinux was in enforcing
mode, and explaining the interaction between HAL and NM which might
cause this failure.  Unfortunately Jarod had already tried to take
this into account [8] and had to still report a failure.

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00466.html

[8] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00575.html

=== Why Does Nautilus Create Folders in ~ By Default ? ===

Rubin was searching [1]  for the knob that turned off the automatic
creation of three directories in his home directory.  JesseKeating and
BrianPepple suggested [2] that there might have been discussion about
this on @fedora-desktop or in blog entries in Planet GNOME or Fedora
People.  "Nodata" was able to point to an @fedora-devel thread [3]
which discussed the issue, and agreed with Rubin.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00318.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00321.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00323.html

RahulSundaram provided a fix [4] (editing ~/.config) and DavidNielsen
came out swinging as an unabashed defender [5] of the technology that
does this, Fedora 7's implementation of the freedesktop.org
XDG-Base-Directory specification: xdg-user-dirs.  RonYorston was
unimpressed and mentioned [6] his partially succesful efforts to
remove this new feature.

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00327.html

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00326.html

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00332.html

MatthiasClasen hastened [7] to clear nautilus of any responsibility
and suggested to simply remove the directories, although Rubin
reported that this didn't work, but that ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
could be edited.  Further down the thread AlexanderLarsson suggested
and RahulSundaram confirmed [8]  that it is necessary to re-run
xdg-user-dirs after blowing away the unwanted directories with a "rm".

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00330.html

[8] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00394.html

Rubin also thought that this change should be presented and explained
to people a bit better.  Others echoed this sentiment [8] in separate
parts of the thread, and KarstenWade pointed out the Release Notes [9]

[9] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00331.html

== Translation ==

This section, we cover the news surrounding the Fedora Translation
(L10n) Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N

=== Completion Summary ===

This week saw the translation deadline for FC7 (2359 10 May 2007).
PaulFrields had a status[1] report ready for the translation team.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2007-May/msg00024.html

== Infrastructure ==

In this section, we cover the Fedora Infrastructure Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure

=== Cacti ===

Cacti (provides system status/usage information) has been in use for a
while by the infrastructure team. MikeMcGrath reconfigured[1] it so
that the public can now see the information as well.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2007-May/msg00008.html

=== System Flux ===

This week saw a wiki [1]crash and some Xen issues[2]. The team has
been able to track down some possible causes and will be looking to
get fixes implemented forthwith.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2007-May/msg00029.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2007-May/msg00022.html

== Security Advisories ==

In this section, we cover Security Advisories from fedora-package-announce.

=== Fedora Core 6 Security Advisories ===

 * 2007-05-07 [SECURITY] evolution-data-server-1.8.3-6.fc6 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FSA/FC6/FEDORA-2007-484
 * 2007-05-07 [SECURITY] gimp-2.2.14-5.fc6 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FSA/FC6/FEDORA-2007-489
 * 2007-05-07 [SECURITY] vim-7.0.235-1.fc6 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FSA/FC6/FEDORA-2007-492
 * 2007-05-07 eclipse-3.2.2-5.fc6 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FSA/FC6/FEDORA-2007-488
 * 2007-05-07 eclipse-cdt-3.1.2-3.fc6 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FSA/FC6/FEDORA-2007-450
 * 2007-05-07 elfutils-0.127-1.fc6 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FSA/FC6/FEDORA-2007-460
 * 2007-05-07 gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.11-1.fc6 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FSA/FC6/FEDORA-2007-476
 * 2007-05-07 libxml2-2.6.28-1.fc6 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FSA/FC6/FEDORA-2007-459
 * 2007-05-07 man-pages-fr-2.39-7.fc6 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FSA/FC6/FEDORA-2007-496
 * 2007-05-07 policycoreutils-1.34.1-9.fc6 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FSA/FC6/FEDORA-2007-479
 * 2007-05-07 smartmontools-5.37-1.1.fc6 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FSA/FC6/FEDORA-2007-474

=== Fedora Core 5 Security Advisories ===

 * 2007-05-07 [SECURITY] dovecot-1.0-0.beta8.4.fc5 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FSA/FC5/FEDORA-2007-493
 * 2007-05-07 [SECURITY] evolution-data-server-1.6.3-4.fc5 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FSA/FC5/FEDORA-2007-485
 * 2007-05-07 [SECURITY] gimp-2.2.14-5.fc5 -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FSA/FC5/FEDORA-2007-491

== Events and Meetings ==

In this section, we cover event reports and meeting summaries from
various projects.

=== Fedora Packaging Committee Meeting 2007-05-08 ===

 * https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-May/msg00252.html

=== Fedora Release Engineering Meeting 2007-05-07 ===

 * https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-May/msg00415.html

=== Event Report: 2007 Upstate Hamfest - South Carolina, USA ===

 * https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2007-May/msg00069.html

=== Event Report: LinuxTag at Fachhochschule - Salzburg, Austria ===

 * https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2007-May/msg00066.html

== Editor's Note: Red Hat Summmit 2007 ==

It was a great experience at Red Hat Summit 2007[1] for three days
(May 9th-11th) in San Diego. This was my first time in Red Hat Summit
and wish I had attended last two summits[2]. I had a chance to meet
Matthew Szulik[3] in person as well as GregDeKoenigsberg, MaxSpevack
and MikeMcGrath[4]. The highlight for this entire trip was being a
part of such a wonderful group called Fedora[5].

[1] http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/2007/

[2] http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/2006/ and
http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/2005/

[3] http://picasaweb.google.com/fedora.tchung/RedHatSummit07/photo#5063974696432555026

[4] http://picasaweb.google.com/fedora.tchung/RedHatSummit07/photo#5063974700727522354

[5] http://picasaweb.google.com/fedora.tchung/RedHatSummit07/photo#5063974988490331282

== Feedback ==

This document is maintained by the Fedora News Team[1]. Please feel
free to contact us to give your feedback. If you'd like to contribute
to a future issue of the Fedora Weekly News, please see the Join[2]
page to find out how to help.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject

[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject/Join

--