F9 Beta release announcement

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 14:27:43 UTC 2008

Ah, spring... when a young penguin's fancy lightly turns to thoughts
of... Beta testing!  Yes, spring has sprung, and so has the Beta release
of Fedora 9!

The Beta release is the point at which we really want and need the wider
community's help with testing.  Beta is a point of much greater
stability in Fedora's development branch, but some fixes continue to
occur to improve usability, performance, and stability.  This release is
great for early adopters and Linux enthusiasts!  The Fedora 9 Beta boots
on the majority of systems, and gives you an idea of how the final
Fedora 9 will look and feel.  Most importantly, we absolutely need
community assistance to check features and provide feedback and bug
reports, to help ensure that Fedora 9 is our best release ever.

Some highlights of Fedora 9 Beta:

 * GNOME 2.22, with new features like a helpful world time clock, better
file system performance, security improvements, power management at the
login screen, the ability to dynamically configure displays, better
Bluetooth integration, improved podcast support, and many other
enhancements
 * KDE 4.0.2, which includes a brand new desktop and panel with many new
concepts, integrated desktop search, a brand new visual style called
Oxygen, a new multimedia API called Phonon, and a new hardware
integration framework called Solid -- all integrated by Fedora's KDE SIG
 * Firefox 3 Beta 5, featuring a native look and feel, desktop
integration, the new Places that replaces bookmarks, and a reworked
address bar
 * Support for resizing ext2, ext3 and NTFS partitions during install
 * Support for creating and installing to encrypted filesystems
 * PackageKit, a cross-distribution package management solution with a
complete yum backend, designed to unify different distributions'
software management with the latest technologies
 * Kernel 2.6.25-rc5

And numerous other improvements and enhancements.

The full release notes are available at:
http://fedoraproject.org/f9-beta-relnotes

Getting it:
===========

The Beta release is available through the following download methods:
 * (recommended) BitTorrent, an efficient and easy distributed
file-sharing system
 * Jigdo, an alternative system that reduces download size in some
situations, or for people who can't use BitTorrent
 * direct download from a mirror location near you

To download, visit:
http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease

More Information:

For more information regarding the Beta release, please visit the
release notes page:
http://fedoraproject.org/f9-beta-relnotes

--
Jesse Keating