Fedora Weekly New 197

Pascal Calarco pcalarco at nd.edu
Mon Oct 12 16:06:34 UTC 2009

           o 1.1 Announcements
                 + 1.1.1 FEDORA ANNOUNCE LIST
                       # 1.1.1.1 Docs preparing to convert to Creative
Commons BY-SA 3.0 Unported license
                       # 1.1.1.2 Resignation of Josh Boyer from FESCo
                 + 1.1.2 FEDORA DEVELOPMENT ANNOUNCEMENTS
                       # 1.1.2.1 Fedora 12 Final Release Date
Rescheduled to 2009-11-17
                       # 1.1.2.2 Fedora 12 Beta Release Rescheduled to
2009-10-20
                       # 1.1.2.3 Heads-up: rb_libtorrent bump (Rawhide),
rebuilds required
                 + 1.1.3 FEDORA EVENTS
                       # 1.1.3.1 Upcoming Events
                       # 1.1.3.2 Past Events
           o 1.2 Planet Fedora
                 + 1.2.1 General
           o 1.3 Ambassadors
                 + 1.3.1 Utah Open Source Conference
                 + 1.3.2 Get on the map
                 + 1.3.3 Fedora 12 is coming
           o 1.4 Translation
                 + 1.4.1 Issues with docs.fedoraproject.org
                 + 1.4.2 LiveUSB Creator Translations Not Being Used
                 + 1.4.3 Translator Metrics
                 + 1.4.4 Proof-reading system-config-*-docs
                 + 1.4.5 Translation Request from Fedora Freemedia
                 + 1.4.6 New Members in FLP
           o 1.5 Artwork
                 + 1.5.1 Outreach to Font Authors
                 + 1.5.2 Fedora Remix Logos
           o 1.6 Security Advisories
                 + 1.6.1 Fedora 11 Security Advisories
                 + 1.6.2 Fedora 10 Security Advisories
           o 1.7 Virtualization
                 + 1.7.1 Fedora Virtualization List
                       # 1.7.1.1 New Release virt-top 1.0.4
                       # 1.7.1.2 Limit VNC Access to a Single Guest

- Fedora Weekly News Issue 197 -

Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 197[1] for the week ending October
11, 2009. What follows are some highlights from this issue.

Starting off with announcements, which includes general, development and
event announcements, word that the Docs team will be switching to the
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License
(CC-BY-SA), an update on Fedora Engineering Steering Committee (FESCo)
leadership, and updates on Fedora 12 milestones. In news from the Fedora
Planet, selected posts from the Fedora contributor community that
includes discussion on "What is Fedora?", mockups for the
fedoraproject.org redesign, and discussion on virt-top. In Ambassador
news, detail on the Utah Open Source Conference. Translation brings us
notification of new members to the Fedora Localization Project, coverage
of some discussion around docs.fedoraproject.org issues, and other
issues. In Design Team news, a request for more font packagers,
discussion around reuse of Fedora Remix logos, and acceptable use cases.
There are a few Fedora 10 and 11 security updates in the Security
Advisories beat, and the issue rounds out with virtualization news,
including more detail on the new virt-top release, and limiting VNC
access to a single guest. Read on, and enjoy!

If you are interested in contributing to Fedora Weekly News, please see
our 'join' page[2]. We welcome reader feedback: fedora-news-list at redhat.com

The Fedora News team is collaborating with Marketing and Docs to come up
with a new exciting platform for disseminating news and views on Fedora,
called Fedora Insight. We plan to have the next issue of Fedora Weekly
News in Fedora Insight, next week. We welcome your feedback as we
migrate FWN to this new content platform!

FWN Editorial Team: Pascal Calarco, Adam Williamson

    1.  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue197
    2.  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject/Join

-- Announcements --

In this section, we cover announcements from the Fedora Project,
including general announcements[1], development announcements[2] and
Events[3].

Contributing Writer: Rashadul Islam

    1.  http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/
    2.  http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/
    3.  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events

--- FEDORA ANNOUNCE LIST ---

---- Docs preparing to convert to Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 Unported
license ----

Ian Weller announced[1], "Today, the Docs team finalized the conversion
of the licensing of our documentation and project content from the Open
Publication License (OPL) to a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike
3.0 Unported License(CC-BY-SA). Docs originally reached a consensus to
change the license in June 2009, and after answering questions raised by
the community, the Docs team decided to go ahead with the transition."

Additional information can be found at the wiki[2]

"We'd like to thank Tom 'spot' Callaway, Fedora's legal ninja, and
Richard Fontana of Red Hat Legal for their help with the conversion."
said Ianweller while talking about continue working with the community
and share their documentation freely.

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2009-October/msg00001.html
    2.  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Relicensing_OPL_to_CC_BY_SA

---- Resignation of Josh Boyer from FESCo ----

Jon Stanley regretly announced the resignation of Josh Boyer from the
Fedora Engineering Steering Committee (FESCo).[1]

Jon said, "It's important to note that the reason for this resignation
is that Josh believes that community leaders should be actively leading
in the community. With his other commitments, Josh simply could not make
the time for both FESCo and maintaining a leadership role within the
community. This is not the fault of Josh, FESCo in general, or any
member of FESCo in particular. Instead, it represents that Josh is
upholding the values that we hold dear in Fedora - openness, honesty,
transparency, and meritocracy."

"Replacing Josh on FESCo, per the succession policy[2] , will be David
Woodhouse, as he was the next highest runner-up in the recent
elections[3] ."

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2009-October/msg00002.html
    2.  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FESCo_election_policy
    3.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2009-June/msg00015.html

--- FEDORA DEVELOPMENT ANNOUNCEMENTS ---

---- Fedora 12 Final Release Date Rescheduled to 2009-11-17 ----

John Poelstra updated and rescheduled Fedora 12 Final Release Date[1].

John announced,[2] "The deadline affecting the data center move which
was putting a final release date if 2009-11-17 into question has been
extended. As a result we are now able to go forward with the original
decision from the 2009-10-05 Release Engineering meeting to move the
final release date of Fedora 12 to 2009-11-17." All of the schedules
have been updated to reflect these changes. Key milestones: [3]

Detailed team schedules and ics (calendar) files:[4]

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-October/msg00003.html
    2.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-October/msg00004.html
    3.  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/12
    4.  http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-12/

---- Fedora 12 Beta Release Rescheduled to 2009-10-20 ----

John Poelstra announced [1] that the Fedora 12 Beta Release
rescheduled[2] to October 20th,2009.

He said,"At the Release Engineering meeting today[3]it was noted that we
still do not have a beta RC composed because a few blocker bugs remain.
The decision was made to move the Fedora 12 Beta Release date to
2009-10-20 instead of its scheduled date of 2009-10-13 (one week from
Tuesday). The original intention was also to move the final release date
of Fedora 12 to 2009-11-17, but that decision has been deferred until
Thursday while the Infrastructure team researches some issues related to
an upcoming data center move. The next meeting to determine the final
release date for Fedora 12 will be this Thursday, 2009-10-08 at 18:00
UTC (2 PM EDT) in #fedora-meeting. After that meeting all of the
detailed Fedora 12 team schedules will be fully updated to reflect the
plan of record. REMINDER: we are in and will remain in FINAL FREEZE for
Fedora 12. This is not a new opportunity for more time to continue
development work or squeeze more bug fixes into Fedora 12. A new branch
is already open where this work can continue for Fedora 13.[4]"

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-October/msg00003.html
    2.  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/12/Schedule
    3.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-October/msg00244.html
    4.  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Beta_Freeze_Policy

---- Heads-up: rb_libtorrent bump (Rawhide), rebuilds required ----

Peter Gordon said[1], "I just pushed an update to rb_libtorrent 0.14.16
in rawhide (F13+), which bumps the library soname from
"libtorrent-rasterbar.so.3" to "libtorrent-rasterbar.so.5".

Because of this change, applications which use this library will need to
be rebuilt. According to repoquery, these are qbittorrent and
springlobby (maintainers CC-ed). I've successfully rebuilt these two
packages locally (from their CVS devel/ branches) with this update
earlier today and did not see any problems, so I don't expect any issues
in updating.

Packages such as Deluge and Miro which use rb_libtorrent through its
Python bindings remain unaffected by this change.

Please let me know if there are any related problems or questions as
they arise."

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-October/msg00001.html

--- FEDORA EVENTS ---

Fedora events are the source of marketing, learning and meeting all the
fellow community people around you. So, please mark your agenda with the
following events to consider attending or volunteering near you!

---- Upcoming Events ----

     * North America (NA)[1]
     * Central & South America (LATAM) [2]
     * Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA)[3]
     * India, Asia, Australia (India/APJ)[4]

    1.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q3_.28September_2009_-_November_2009.29
    2.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q3_.28September_2009_-_November_2009.29_2
    3.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q3_.28September_2009_-_November_2009.29_3
    4.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q3_.28September_2009_-_November_2009.29_4

---- Past Events ----

Archive of Past Fedora Events[1]

    1.  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#Past_Events

-- Planet Fedora --

In this section, we cover the highlights of Planet Fedora[1] - an
aggregation of blogs from Fedora contributors worldwide.

Contributing Writer: Adam Batkin

    1.  http://planet.fedoraproject.org

--- General ---

Richard W.M. Jones added[1] another tool to the virt-* arsenal of tools,
virt-top to replace xentop. Also it works in Japenese. Richard also
explained[2] some of the difficulties that make Virtual Machine
conversions difficult.

Michael Tiemann noted[3] the London Stock Exchange's "about-face in IT
policy" in which they are switching to a Linux-based solution.

Máirín Duffy continued[4] the mockups for the fedoraproject.org website
redesign. In particular, Máirín wants to "bling your spin"[5]. "We’ve
come up with a new spins.fedoraproject.org design. This is part of an
overall effort commissioned by the Fedora Project Board to improve the
Fedora download experience. The initial design includes individual spin
details pages." So don't forget to send in your spin information[6].

Paul W. Frields explained[7] some of the changes that may be taking
place due to the Fedora 12 beta being pushed back, and how you can help.

Jeremy Katz took a look[8] at a number of deployment systems. "Given
that this seemed like a pretty typical problem, I figured I’d take a
look and see what open source projects exist out there to see if any of
them were suitable or could be at least close to a good fit for what we
need and want. Unfortunately, I was kind of disappointed..."

Mike McGrath asked[9],[10] (mostly answered) the question "What is
Fedora?" continuing a discussion from the Fedora Advisory Board
list[11]. Michael DeHaan also[12] chimed in, as did Stephen Smoogen[13].

Ben Skeggs debunked[14] some of the bad reporting around the Nouveau
driver. "Nouveau development is progressing quite nicely, and is far
from dead!"

    1.
http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/10/05/virt-top-%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC%E8%AA%9E%E3%81%A7/
    2.
http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/10/06/what-things-make-p2vv2v-conversion-hard/
    3.  http://opensource.org/node/473
    4.
http://mairin.wordpress.com/2009/10/05/more-get-fpo-redesign-mockups/
    5.  http://mairin.wordpress.com/2009/10/09/let-me-bling-your-spin/
    6.
http://mairin.wordpress.com/2009/10/10/spin-blingification-continues/
    7.  http://marilyn.frields.org:8080/~paul/wordpress/?p=2763
    8.
http://velohacker.com/fedora-notes/why-do-all-deployment-systems-suck/
    9.  http://mmcgrath.livejournal.com/29772.html
   10.  http://mmcgrath.livejournal.com/30203.html
   11.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2009-October/msg00012.html
   12.  http://michaeldehaan.net/2009/10/09/what-is-fedora/
   13.
http://smoogespace.blogspot.com/2009/10/creating-drama-fedora-style.html
   14.  http://skeggsb.livejournal.com/568.html

-- Ambassadors --

In this section, we cover Fedora Ambassadors Project[1].

Contributing Writer: Larry Cafiero

    1.  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors

--- Utah Open Source Conference ---

Last week saw the annual Utah Open Source Conference, the U.S. Mountain
West region's biggest and best Linux festival[1], held in Salt Lake
City, Utah, from Oct. 8-10. This is the third year of this annual event,
and Fedora is one of the sponsors.

Fedora had a booth at the event where much media, stickers and
assistance from the Fedora Ambassador community was provided to attendees.

See posts on the Fedora Planet[2] for reviews and thoughts on the meeting.

    1.  http://2009.utosc.com/pages/home/
    2.  http://planet.fedoraproject.org/

--- Get on the map ---

Want to find the nearest ambassador? How about one in Belarus? Now you can.

Susmit Shannigrahi reports that finding out the nearest ambassadors,
which was once a tedious task, is now as simple as viewing a map. The
map is at here and instructions on how to place yourself on the map can
be found at here.

--- Fedora 12 is coming ---

While you may still be promoting Fedora 11 in your areas, you can make
plans for Fedora 12 events to promote and celebrate the release of our
next version.

As such, with the upcoming release of Fedora 12, this is a reminder that
posting an announcement of your event on Fedora Weekly News can help get
the word out. Contact FWN Ambassador correspondent Larry Cafiero at
lcafiero-AT-fedoraproject-DOT-org with announcements of upcoming events
-- and don't forget to e-mail reports after the events as well.

-- Translation --

This section covers the news surrounding the Fedora Translation (L10n)
Project[1].

Contributing Writer: Runa Bhattacharjee

    1.  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N

--- Issues with docs.fedoraproject.org ---

Post the redesign of the docs.fedoraproject.org main page, Domingo
Becker informed about some errors being displayed in the Installation
Guide and Installation Quick Start Guide for Fedora 11[1]. Ruediger
Landmann explained that this error was often caused due to complicated
format in which .po files needed to be merged and then divided back to
suit the requirement of documentation compilation tool, publican[2].
Additionally, he also mentioned that errors such as these can be filed
as bugs in bugzilla.redhat.com.

Meanwhile, John J. McDonough has been running automatic updates for the
Fedora 12 Release Notes. Translation errors (if any) affecting the build
are reported directly to the fedora-trans mailing list[3][4].

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-October/msg00064.html
    2.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-October/msg00068.html
    3.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-September/msg00146.html
    4.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-September/msg00152.html

--- LiveUSB Creator Translations Not Being Used ---

Domingo Becker from the Spanish translation team, reported that the
translations for liveusb-creator were not currently being used[1].

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-October/msg00039.html

--- Translator Metrics ---

As a follow-up of a discussion on the gnome-i18n mailing list[1], Rui
Gouveia raised the possibility of adding a feature to gather translator
related metrics related to Fedora, through Transifex[2].

    1.  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2009-October/msg00015.html
    2.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-October/msg00072.html

--- Proof-reading system-config-*-docs ---

Ankit Patel put together general instructions regarding the process to
compile and proof-read the documents that are part of the various
system-config packages[1].

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-October/msg00087.html

--- Translation Request from Fedora Freemedia ---

A request to the FLP was put forward by Frank Murphy from the Fedora
Freemedia Project, to translate some Freemedia communication[1]. The
Chinese (Traditional), Thai and Spanish translations have been submitted
so far.

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-October/msg00095.html

--- New Members in FLP ---

Martin Stefanov (Bulgarian)[1] and Alexey Matveichev (Russian)[2] joined
the FLP last week.

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-October/msg00093.html
    2.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-October/msg00105.html

-- Artwork --

In this section, we cover the Fedora Design Team[1].

Contributing Writer: Nicu Buculei

    1.  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork

--- Outreach to Font Authors ---

Máirín Duffy reported[1] on @fedora-fonts about her progress in treeing
some fonts "I've contacted a few font authors whose fonts either don't
have an explicit license or have an ambiguous/custom license about
considering choosing a Fedora-compatible font license". She also wrote a
blog post[2] calling for more font packagers "To inspire folks to get
involved in packaging, specifically font packaging. Shameless begging
font package requests via blog have worked in the past."

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-fonts-list/2009-October/msg00011.html
    2.
http://mairin.wordpress.com/2009/10/07/unpackaged-font-of-the-week-m-fonts/

--- Fedora Remix Logos ---

Peter Robinson asked[1] on @fedora-design about the use of the Fedora
Remix logo "And whether someone can package them up into a
fedora-remix-logos package to make them easier to use for things like
Plymouth boot screens", Nicu Buculei replied[2] saying due to trademark
restriction only rendered PNG, not source SVG can pa packaged and Máirín
Duffy inquired[3] about the particular use case "Wouldn't you want the
Moblin brand to have more weight than the Fedora remix brand? Or are you
looking for just a generic 'Fedora Remix' theme without any reference to
the particular remix?"

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-October/001172.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-October/001175.html
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-October/001179.html

-- Security Advisories --

In this section, we cover Security Advisories from fedora-package-announce.

Contributing Writer: Pascal Calarco

--- Fedora 11 Security Advisories ---

     * deltarpm-3.4-17.fc11 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-October/msg00277.html
     * sunbird-1.0-0.7.20090715hg.fc11 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-October/msg00204.html
     * thunderbird-3.0-2.7.b4.fc11 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-October/msg00203.html

--- Fedora 10 Security Advisories ---

     * deltarpm-3.4-11.fc10.1 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-October/msg00298.html
     * aria2-1.3.1-2.fc10 -
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2009-October/msg00282.html

-- Virtualization --

In this section, we cover discussion of Fedora virtualization
technologies on the @fedora-virt list.

Contributing Writer: Dale Bewley

--- Fedora Virtualization List ---

This section contains the discussion happening on the fedora-virt list.

---- New Release virt-top 1.0.4 ----

Richard Jones announced[1] a new release of
image:Echo-package-16px.pngvirt-top. "Virt-top[2] looks and acts like
the familiar top(1) command, displays virtual machines, and uses libvirt
so it works with just about every virtualization system out there. It
also has cool features for sysadmins, like you can use it to log stats
into a database or spreadsheet."

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-virt/2009-October/msg00019.html
    2.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top/

--- Limit VNC Access to a Single Guest ----

Dennis asked[1] if it was possible to limit a user to a single guest
console rather than the all guests in a
image:Echo-package-16px.pngvirt-manager instance.

Richard Jones answered that virt-manager doesn't support that level of
authorization[2] yet, but each guest console can be given[3] a static
VNC port number which can be secured with a firewall or ssh port forwarding.

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-virt/2009-October/msg00027.html
    2.  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtAuthorization
    3.  http://www.libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsGraphics

- end FWN 197 -

----
Pascal Calarco, Fedora Ambassador, Indiana, USA
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pcalarco