[fedora-arm] arm-linux-gnueabi toolchain available

Manas Saksena msaksena at marvell.com
Wed Aug 8 00:37:05 UTC 2007

Brendan,

Thanks for posting this. I took a quick look. Please see comments below.

Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> A few weeks back there was a big discussion on fedora-devel-list about
> cross compilers in relation to the Fedora arm project.  Somewhere in the
> thread I promised we (GES @ Red Hat) would put out our cross compilation
> bits as proof of concept.  While we're still making some changes to our
> cross rpm packages, we can share our current cross compiler beta for
> those who are interested.  We're producing working root filesystems with
> this compiler, so you should be able to as well.
>
> A couple things to note: The tools are portion of the GNUPro toolkit
> currently in development (aka gnupro-07r1-1) and is not based on the
> sources from Fedora (It is gcc 4.2.1, for instance).  We don't normally
> build with RPM, so the spec file is a wrapper to our rebuild program
> (Which handles the chicken/egg problem aka gcc/glibc).

Okay, this is essentially how cross-tool or codesourcery would build
their cross-toolchain? The scripts are different, but the idea is same.
Or, am I missing something?

Our goal with this project is to actually leverage fedora. In other
words, here are things I would like to be able to achieve...

1. The cross-compiler is "equivalent" to the native compiler. Thus,
    if I mix cross-built packages with native built packages, it should
    all just work.

2. When doing cross-building of packages and root file systems, we
    should be using the Fedora packages. This is not a problem that the
    cross-compiler needs to address (except for glibc), but we need to
    deal with it in the next step (i.e., building packages).

Could you explain how you leverage Fedora in your approach, or is that
not something you particularly care about?

Thanks
Manas