[fedora-arm] Fedora 10/ARM?

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh at wantstofly.org
Fri Nov 28 10:59:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 09:54:18AM +0000, Philip Heron wrote:

> Hiya Kedar,

Hey Philip,

> >>I am interested in building for armv4t for Openmoko Neo - what would
> >>need to be done to your work to get a build for this architecture?
> >
> >I suppose simply rebuilding the rpms (on the Fedora-ARM 10 buildroot)
> >with the additional argument '--target armv4tl' should work.
>
> You'd think that :-)
>
> I tried this with Fedora 8 and ARM5 instructions still found there way
> into the binaries. I believe the packages need to be built twice --
> first in the ARM5 environment, then rebuilt from within the new
> ARM4/5ish environment.

What's possible is that not all packages specify CFLAGS (although
you'd expect that to be fixed by now), or not for all files that are
built.  If that happens, you'll end up with ARMv5 insns, since the
Fedora/ARM gcc generates v5 code by default (I think this is the
default in gcc 4.1 for EABI).

> I tried this too but kept hitting circular dependencies, especially
> with Java.

This will always be the case, but you don't need to re-bootstrap to
build an ARMv4 version of the distro, right?  Just build all packages
for v4 in a v5 chroot, then build a new chroot out of the v4 packages
you've just built.

cheers,
Lennert