Future of Bluecurve & Partial Bluecurve Guidelines Available (was Re: bluecurve)

Matthew Swasey matt at 0xf00d.com
Sat Apr 8 18:27:26 UTC 2006

Máirín,

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> Matthew Swasey wrote:
> > I would like to know if there are any specific plans for bluecurve as of
> > yet.  Although it is my favorite icon set, it could use some updating
> > and revamping.  Was the original author Garrett LeSage?
>
> The original author was Garrett LeSage, although I don't know so many details
> about its origins as a Red Hat old-timer would. I'm on the Red Hat Network team
> and we use the icons extensively in the web gui, so I work with the icons a lot
> and I've created a few (very few) additional icons to the set. I'm sure Diana
> has too.
>
> What kind of updating / revamping do you have in mind?

Nothing radical, like has already been mentioned, get some of the
original icons in SVG format.  Then start adding some more icons to the
set, in order to make a more complete set.

> > Although I would not mind seeing some of the tango guidelines applied to
> > bluecurve, it would be sad for Fedora/RedHat to ditch the bluecurve
> > icons and replace them with Tango icons.
>
> I agree, the Tango guidelines are great, and I think it would be a good project
> to 'Tangoize' Bluecurve such that it follows the Tango icon specifications. I'm
> not aware of any current project doing so...

The one thing that I think the Tango wiki could use (along with any open
icon project) is the ability for users to comment and critique each
individual icon.  For example, while I like most of the Tango icons,
there are a few that I find violate the beauty of the rest of the set,
such as the ugly rhombus "computer" icon.

On the tango page, there is a section that displays each individual
icons, so implementing a way to comment on them should not be too hard.

> It's my hope that we don't end up using the Tango icons if Bluecurve gets
> ditched, though. I think we need our own look. Tango is too close to Bluecurve
> to be compelling enough to switch IMHO.

> I have made a start at putting together some guidelines for creating icons to
> fit the set at: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BluecurveIconGuidelines
> Diana, will you document the palette for this page? :)

This is looking very good so far.