New Icon Set...[echo]...

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Aug 7 09:45:03 UTC 2006

David Nielsen wrote:

> I feel I put a great deal of restrain on my opinion, nowhere did I like
> you resort to vague ad hominem attacks. What is my interest in being
> fair, would you like it better if I simply padded Diana on the back and
> told her I loved the new icons when the basic design presents serious
> issues for people I work with.

The fact is: the need of small size versions was known and acknowledged,
no need to attack the new theme for lacking those, giving enough time
they will come.

> If I have to go and show off Fedora to my former collegues I will
> install Human Azul or a similar Tango derived icon theme because those
> are the only ones aside Bluecurve (which like Echo is appalingly lacking
> in coverage and getting to the same place as Tango is today will take
> ages) consider the fact that people might want to look at their icons in

Tango theme got where is today in a little under one year, why not give
Echo a few months to see where it can get?

> an actual desktop setting. I think that is the problem with Echo, they
> were designed top down, we should start with the most common case for a
> given icon and optimize that - then scale up or down as needed. This
> means starting with an icon that works on 16x16/24x24 in most cases,
> anything else makes puppies cry.

No, is not a good process to start with 16x16/24x24. Even the GNOME HIG
recommend drawing at the default size (48x48) and derive the small
version (24x24) from it -
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/icons-design.html
I suspect this was the workflow used by Jimmac when originally creating
Industrial.

The same is true for Tango: starting with 48x48:
http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines#Suggested_Workflow_.26_Support_Files

This being said, I would agree the SVG files have unneeded large and
strange resolutions (two examples: 69.52x107.33 and 86.84x92.31) - I
suspect this is because those are used only as intermediary versions,
not final product (with PNG being the final product)

--
nicu