New Icon Set...[echo]...

Paul subsolar at subsolar.com
Tue Aug 8 03:45:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 02:46 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> > I've also posted some of the early icons in the fc5 screen setting
> > [1]...those are actually cleaned up smaller icons.  Is that _still_
> > bad...or maybe better?  A few pixels cleaned here and there can really
> > make a difference. =)
>
> In the very small sizes you really need a defined outline to be as
> viewable as possible it really makes all the difference (and once you
> have it on smaller icons it looks silly to not have it on larger ones as
> they will look very different).

I vote for an outline on the smaller icons & full size ones 100%, I'm
one of the these people over 40 with less than good vision even when it
is corrected.

> It still seems like taking a well thought out design guideline and a
> very complete and well tested icon set and throwing it out. I have yet
> to see any argument against Tango that didn't boil down to Fong or Duffy
> plain not liking it. While that's fine I would like to see some
> justification for reinventing the wheel rather than adapting Tango to
> our needs. And don't say branding because that is perfectly possible
> within Tango, it worked for Ubuntu why not for Fedora?

Personally I like the look of the new theme aside from the lack of an
outline.  I like the the idea of Fedora having a unique theme and
believe that Bluecurve is getting "long in the tooth" & not consistent.

Regards,
Paul Berger